Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creating curved faces - is this possible, and how?

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
PopeMaggieThePious
443 Views, 9 Replies

Creating curved faces - is this possible, and how?

Hi everyone,

I'm still somewhat of a novice at inventor, proficient but by no means expert - I've used it in industry, but never had to do much modelling of curvatures.

So excuse me if my method is not the best approach, and feel free to offer a better suggestion.

What I want to do, is create a "face" to join to disjointed areas of my model.  It would be hard to describe, so I've included a picture.  The red lines indicate the face I want to create.

Please let me know what you think I should do.  I appreciate any helpful responses because I want to learn.

helmet capture.PNG

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10

Can you attach the *.ipt file here?

Looks like it will be a Patch and Thicken.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 3 of 10

I've attached the part file here.

I've been trying to understand patch....I haven't gotten anywhere with it; it's a feature I don't understand yet. 

Thanks!

Message 4 of 10

I tried making 2 patches, and then tried to use "sculpt" on those 2 patches, just to see what would happen. 

I do read error messages to try to determine what's going on, but the error message I received literally was, "The attempted operation has no effect on the part. Try with different inputs."

That doesn't explain to me why it didn't work.  Smiley Frustrated

Message 5 of 10

If you attach the file with the patches I can tell you why the Sculpt isn't working.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EESignature

Message 6 of 10

ok.

it's boundary patch 4 and 5 (the two that are unsupupressed)

Again, I've never used these features before, I'm just screwing around to see what they do (or don't do) so I appreciate your input.

Message 7 of 10

Your patches simply reproduce existing faces - adding any new faces.

For Sculpt to work (as you intend) the patches must form a "watertight" envelope.  You have no envelope at all.

EESignature

Message 8 of 10

I made a new patch, trying to make a new face by selecting boundaries of surfaces, and I ended up with the weird shape below, which falls out of the boundaries I selected, and I don't udnerstand what to do with it. 

Perhaps I went about this thing entirely the wrong way.

I definitely don't understand patch/sculpt/stitch.

Capture patch.PNG

Message 9 of 10

"Your patches simply reproduce existing faces - adding any new faces.

For Sculpt to work (as you intend) the patches must form a "watertight" envelope.  You have no envelope at all."

~~~~~~~~

what edges would you use to make the correct face (or is this the wrong approach)?

Message 10 of 10

I was able to make a patch using a 3d sketch (I don't know why I didn't think of that before).

It's not perfect, but I'm getting somewhere.

I think I exaggerated the eyebrows of the Darth Vader helmet too much, but whatever, this was a test.  I wanted to learn about patch, and I learned something.

So for others reading, who are as new to patch as me, that's something you can do to create a face: Create a 3d sketch, sketch out a closed polygon of the area you want to fill in, and close the sketch.  The select "patch", move your cursor into the boundary so that it lights up, and say apply.  A visible patch will be made.  You will use the "thicken" tool (near patch in the ribbon) to "extrude" it.  In my model, the edges don't match up quite perfectly if you really zoom in, but it's a start.

Capture patch.PNG

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report