Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

creating correct size thread for custom bolt

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
James__S
1007 Views, 4 Replies

creating correct size thread for custom bolt

I have 2 parts.Each one holes created using Hole Tool.I for this purpose made a Hex Head Bolt to join these 2 parts together.

I am new to assemblies but want to get it correct the technique....is this parts/assembly done correctly...i analyse and get 2 interence...have i made the holes and bolt the correct sizes to match each ?

Best Regards

James

ADIN2013

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
JDMather
in reply to: James__S

There should be interference since the threads are not there - only cosmetic representation of threads.

In the real parts, it is the threads that hold the parts together.  The mating threads "interlock" with each other.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 3 of 5
James__S
in reply to: JDMather

JDMATHER - thank you

I have i then created this parts/assembly correctly then?

Thank you

James

Message 4 of 5
JDMather
in reply to: James__S

Long answer,

I recommend that you go to the local hardware store and purchase an M12 bolt and nut, then measure the OD of the bolt and the ID of the hole in the nut.

Do you work in a location that has standard fasteners that you can measure?

The short answer is yes - you have approptiate sizes, but I would not bottom tap a hole as this will make the machinist very angry (bottom tapped holes are difficult to manufacture as the tap often breaks inside the hole because of chip welding)  Make the thread depth 1 or 2mm less than the hole depth (for this size thread) if you can.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 5 of 5
James__S
in reply to: JDMather

Thank you

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report