Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creating Boundary Patch

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
djchristophe
1548 Views, 4 Replies

Creating Boundary Patch

Guys,

I'm having problems creating a boundary patch on the attached model, Its a Y-Pipe joint in 3 planes that I'm attempting to split in half. I've used a silhouette curve to create a centre line in a 3d sketch then joined the ends together, however when I try to select the lines to create the boundary patch it only allows me to select some not all of the lines.

Can any one advise please?

Regards,

Chris

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
JDMather
in reply to: djchristophe

Is this what you are trying to do?

Patch.PNG

Planar patch correct?

Planar is 2Dsketch.

Create workplane though 3 points (I used center of arcs).

Project Cut Edges.

Boundary Patch.

Not sure why you would do this part as Adaptive, but for sure if doing as adaptive I would fully constrain those arcs by adding Tangent constraints.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 3 of 5
djchristophe

Thanks for the reply, I dont want the split to be on a flat 2d plane, I would like it to follow the silhouette curve ie form a 3d separation that is along the centreline of all 3 pipes. (The small pipe deviates in the Z direction as well as XY)

Cheers,

Chris

Message 4 of 5
JDMather

After I fixed the tangecies you still had two tiny gaps in the 3D sketch.

Close those and the boundary patch works with your 3D sketch.

Gaps.PNG

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 5 of 5
djchristophe

Thanks, I hadn't noticed the gaps. I've gone over and found 3 gaps which I've joined and 1 overlap and it will now create a boundary sketch. However the next step in my model is to extend this surface out 5mm (I'm creating a male press tool) but the extend tool is creating errors, which I guess may be linked to the overlaps and gaps in the boundary sketch.

Is there anyway I can create a better boundary sketch? I can understand why it would leave gaps and overlaps where it has. A collegue is working on a similar tool although slightly larger and is having no issues.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report