Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creating an Air Bag (suspension)

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
sinus19
4568 Views, 11 Replies

Creating an Air Bag (suspension)

Hey guys!

So i am modeling a trailer's suspension and im to the point where i need to add the Air Bags... I made an assembly that consist of 3 parts. Top plate, Rubber Bag, and Bottom Plate... The quesion is: How do i make the Bag (With the bottom plate attached and top plate attached) act like actualy rubber that flexes, compresses and extends?

I have attached the assembly so you guys can see.

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
JDMather
in reply to: sinus19

@sinus19 wrote:

I have attached the assembly so you guys can see.

An assembly *.iam without parts *.ipt files is useless.
You must attach the part files.

This question has been asked in the past, a search might turn up a solution.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 3 of 12
sinus19
in reply to: JDMather

Oh shoot... this should work now, they are all 3 parts.

I've looked ALL over the internet and havent found anything.

Message 4 of 12
tmoney2007

I'd be interested to see if this was possible.  Inventor isn't really made for this kind of modeling.  3DS Max would be a better option.

Look into how people drive springs in models like this.

Message 5 of 12
rdyson

Right click DriveMe and drive constraint.

IF you don't understand what I did, you probably need to do some more studying and more tutorials.

PDSU 2016
Message 6 of 12
sinus19
in reply to: rdyson

Thanks guys, I got the Drive constrain down, and i actully got the Bag to compress and extend (verticly only) BUT, when i place it the Main Suspension Assembly, the bottom plate needs to be at an angle while the top plate is flat. This will require half of the Bag to be in kinda of an angle. I have made the Air Bag Assembly "adaptive" and "felixible" but i still cant get the bag to flex... So the question now is: How do i make the Bottom half of the bag flex?

Message 7 of 12
sinus19

Heres a pic of my problem... Trying to get the bottom of the bag to mate with the arm

Message 8 of 12
rdyson

You Might be abe to do it with a loft instead of a revolve, but the associativity has to be in the assembly where the change occurs.

PDSU 2016
Message 9 of 12
cwhetten

Something like this?

Air Bag Ani.gif

The above is an animated gif.  In case you are viewing this page from Internet Explorer and you can't see the animation, here are the two frames:

Air Bag.png

This air bag assembly is either up or down.  It doesn't flex to any intermediate angles.  We had no need to show more than these two postions, so we chose to write an iLogic rule that would modify the parameters of the rubber bag feature, so that it is either inflated or "squished".  If you need it to be able to take any shape through a range of angles, then our approach wouldn't work for you.  But if you just need to show two or three positions, I can post the bag model here.

Message 10 of 12
JDMather
in reply to: cwhetten

@cwhetten wrote:

Something like this?

I can post the bag model here.

Thing of beauty, work of art.
Please do attach the files.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 11 of 12
sinus19
in reply to: cwhetten

YES! this is what i am looking for. I dont need it at multiple points. just at one angle. Can you share the file?. also would you share how/what it is that you did to change the parameters area?

Message 12 of 12
cwhetten

I have attached the assembly.  You will have to unroll the EOP from the 1200_AirBladder.ipt component.  Also, these files are version 2012.

The assembly has a multi-value user parameter called Extension.  The user picks one of three options: MaxCompressed, MaxExtended, or Neutral.  Then an iLogic rule sets the values of the parameters in the bag part.

We just adjusted the parameters in the sketch of the bag shape (LobeCenters, LobeOffset, LobeOffsetDiameter, and LobeOD) until it looked about right, then put those values into the iLogic rule for a particular position.  You can do the same to get the positions that you need.  See the image below, or, if it is too small to read, look at the attached image.

Edit:  Apparently we aren't allowed to insert images anymore?  Just look at the attached image.

-cwhetten

Please click "Accept as Solution" if this response answers your question.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report