Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creating a Sharp Fold

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
sinus19
835 Views, 8 Replies

Creating a Sharp Fold

Hello,

I am trying to fold a sheet into an "L" shape (using the the Fold command) but i would like to have the inside of the bend to be sharp and not a radius like on the outside. Is there any way that i can achieve this?

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
jletcher
in reply to: sinus19

The only thing is .001 radius...

Message 3 of 9
sathersc23

The inner bend radius and outer bend radius are tied together like they would be in real life. You can try setting yoru bend radius to nearly zero (I've never tried) and see what that does for you. Most things in life though that are folded have a bend radius of something to it. If you're forming a piece using a different process, you probably want to try a different modeling method.

Sam Sather
CAD Admin
Inventor 2014
Vault Pro 2014 SR: 1 SP: 1
Intel Xeon X5690 @ 3.47 GHz
48.0 GB Ram
Windows 7 x64
AMD FirePro V7900 - 8.830.5.6000

----------------------------

"We have not succeeded in answering all our problems. The answers we have found only serve to raise a whole set of new questions. In some ways we feel we are as confused as ever, but we believe we are confused on a higher level and about more important things." - Earl C. Kelley
Message 4 of 9
sathersc23
in reply to: sathersc23

To pre-empt the next common question (that I asked once myself), there are no "standard radiuses" to fold to or design with, it depends entirely on your tooling and material. If you're doing thin sheet over a break, try 1/16 or 1/32 radius, if you're doing 1.25" steel try 2-3 inches.

Furthermore the k-factor is the ratio of the neutral axis of the bend (grab a mechanics book for that one) from the bend surface across the part thickness.

Sam Sather
CAD Admin
Inventor 2014
Vault Pro 2014 SR: 1 SP: 1
Intel Xeon X5690 @ 3.47 GHz
48.0 GB Ram
Windows 7 x64
AMD FirePro V7900 - 8.830.5.6000

----------------------------

"We have not succeeded in answering all our problems. The answers we have found only serve to raise a whole set of new questions. In some ways we feel we are as confused as ever, but we believe we are confused on a higher level and about more important things." - Earl C. Kelley
Message 5 of 9
sinus19
in reply to: sathersc23

Oh I see... Well at the shop we have a hydraulic break that uses sharped end dies and when it bends a sheet it leaves a sharp crest on the inside but a round bend on the outside. Where/how can i change the setting for the radius?

Message 6 of 9
sinus19

oh wait i got it! never mind. Thanks guys for the tips. Smiley Happy

Message 7 of 9
JDMather

@sinus19 wrote:
.... Well at the shop we have a hydraulic break that uses sharped end dies and when it bends a sheet it leaves a sharp crest on the inside but a round bend on the outside.

No matter how sharp it is - there is still an inside radius.
Check the resulting part on an optical comparitor or under microscope.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 8 of 9
blair
in reply to: JDMather

We had really sharp dies on our hydraulic press in the shop, the damage that can occur when someone wants a sharp inside radius will "cut/score" the material. I have never found this to be a good thing.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 9 of 9
jeanchile

As another comment/side note on this issue, if this is a structural part made from steel the AISC publishes a minimum inside radius for cold bending. Any smaller than this and the part is prone to cracking and yielding. Have no idea if this is what you are doing, just thought I would add my two cents along the lines of what blair was mentioning in hopes that you (or someone else later) doesn't overlook something. Good luck!

Inventor Professional

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report