Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creating a shape from a mathematical function

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
Anonymous
1181 Views, 6 Replies

Creating a shape from a mathematical function

Hi,

I'm rather ropey with the exact capabilities of Inventor and I would like to know if the following is actually possible and if anyone good give me guidance then it would be appreciated a lot.

Using Mathcad, I can create a file with x and y values defining a 2D shape from which I want to create a swept volume.

I want to import these values into Inventor to use as a definition of a sketched line and then use the revolve function to generate the shape.  Is this possible?  It doesn't seem that obvious to me but I haven't done anything like this with it before.

Many thanks,

Gareth

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
dano0310
in reply to: Anonymous

You can put the coordinates into excel and import them into a 2d sketch. You can then attach them with a spline. I would fix the points first.
Message 3 of 7
alewer

Depending on your version and the function, you may be able to enter the function directly in Inventor (no mathcad). Read the helpfiles for "equation curve."

Message 4 of 7
JDMather

If you can't figure it out - attach your *.xls file here.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: dano0310

Hi, thanks everyone for your help with this - I was able to get it working via excel.  One thing I should add though is that it is necessary to have Excel installed on the same computer as Inventor for this method to work - I didn't and was left scratching my head for a while, but sussed it out in the end.

Gareth

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous

Make sure you ground or constrain the points, by default they will not be grounded.

Message 7 of 7
JDMather

Inventor 2013 has Equation Curves.
You might have been able to get better results without the xls file.

I requested it to see exactly what you were trying to do.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report