Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creating a hole on a curved surface

18 REPLIES 18
SOLVED
Message 1 of 19
leweaver
10194 Views, 18 Replies

Creating a hole on a curved surface

Hello All,

I am trying to create a simple hole with threads for a set screw on a hub. I cannot figure out how to select the tangent plane I need to create the sketch. I'm using Inventor 2013 and have attached the file below. All suggestions are welcome! Thanks.

18 REPLIES 18
Message 2 of 19
JDMather
in reply to: leweaver

Sketch1 is not constrained.

I recommend you read this document http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/SkillsUSA%20University.pdf

see attached file for one method.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 3 of 19
leweaver
in reply to: JDMather

Thanks, that worked great! Another question... After the hole/cutout has been created, should there be any problems assembling items in it? I created the hole on the hub itself and tried creating the hole in assembly. When I go to insert the set screw, it will select every hole in the hub except the one on the tangent work plane. Any advice?

Message 4 of 19
JDMather

Create an axis through the center of the hole (if one of the Origin axis does not already go through the centerline).

Create a workpoint at the intersection the axis and the workplane.

The hole, workpoint and workplane can be used to place fastener.

Attach your assembly here if you can't figure it out.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EESignature

Message 5 of 19
leweaver

I still could not figure out how to do this... I have attached the file. The set screw is not the one that I plan to use but I just needed a simular one to work with. Thanks!

Message 6 of 19
SBix26

You forgot the parts...

Message 7 of 19
leweaver
in reply to: SBix26

I attached the assembly again.

Message 8 of 19
SBix26

The assembly file specifies how the parts are put together, but it doesn't define the parts.  We need the component files (.ipt), too.

Message 9 of 19
leweaver

Ok, got it. The set screw I got from the conent center so I just attached the hub. Sorry for the mix up!

Message 10 of 19
SBix26

OK, easy constraints.  You already have the workplane there, so constrain the flat top of the set screw to the workplane (with an appropriate offset), then constrain the axis of the screw to the axis of the hole.  Finished.

By the way, why did you extrude the hole in the hub and then thread it, instead of just making it a threaded hole feature?  You have the sketch there with the hole center located, just make it a hole to the center bore of the hub.  Then it will annotate correctly on your drawing.

I also looked through the rest of your model-- you haven't had any training, have you?  Please read the document that JD mentioned in his post-- your sketches are not constrained, so your results are probably not what you want-- look at your four countersunk holes...

Message 11 of 19
SBix26

Here's another example to go with JD's.  It's all constrained and easily and predictably editable.  Your original hub has four countersunk holes that are a mystery since they are threaded, and they're too close to the hub.  A #5 flat-head screw would run into the hub in that position.  Pull the EOP up to the top and go through it feature by feature; ask if anything doesn't make sense to you.

Message 12 of 19
leweaver

Thanks Sam! The first solution worked perfectly. And no, I have not been trained in this or any Autodesk product. When I learned CAD, we used SolidEdge but I have been trying to self-teach some of the Autodesk products for a project that I am working on. Trying to get it done the quick and dirty way, I often forget to constrain my sketches... Thanks again.

Message 13 of 19
JDMather

@leweaver wrote:

Trying to get it done the quick and dirty way, I often forget to constrain my sketches....

If you do it right - you don't have to constrain your sketches - Inventor does this for you.
That is why you should worry about it now, once you learn how Inventor will do the work for you it all gets must faster.

In my experience the "quick and dirty way" always ends up being the slow and dirty way.  No winning solution in that.

EESignature

Message 14 of 19
bbrazil

I am trying to create a hole on a surface that is not flat. I am unable to create a sketch or a work plane due to the curved surface. I need to place a hole on the side of the open end 1.125" up from bottom. Any help would be appreciated. I am workinng with Inventor 2013

Thanks, BB

Message 15 of 19
JDMather
in reply to: bbrazil

I noticed that several of you sketches are not fully defined?

see attached for one method.  (I didn't take the time to try to get hole in precise position as I don't know relative to what?

EESignature

Message 16 of 19
bbrazil

Sorry about that, I need the hole perpendicular to the surface you have it on, Ive relocated the hole into proper location, just not clear how you were able to create the work plane. Did you create WP 5 and 6 to get the axis?

Thanks 

BB

Message 17 of 19
JDMather
in reply to: bbrazil

I will come back tomorrow with instructions on more precise way of placing the hole.

The key is to get the perpendicular pierce point where the axis of the hole passes through the curved surface.

EESignature

Message 18 of 19
azelod

Hell, I need help modeling the exaust pipe seen below at the atached files, the main problem is creating the axis for the holes, normal to the multiple curved surfaces, and using some kind of patern after that 

Tags (1)
Message 19 of 19
azelod
in reply to: azelod

real life photo of the pipe

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report