Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creating a Globe With Protruding Continents

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
acelove27
1865 Views, 2 Replies

Creating a Globe With Protruding Continents

I'm attempting to create a spherical globe with continents uniformily protruding from the surface (say 1 or 2 millimeters). I've given it a few tries, but every method I've used either fell short or resulted in huge distortion. There are really two signifcant hurdles, the first being etching the continents onto the globe, and the second being giving them a greater diameter than the globe. Here's a good example of the type of effect I hope to achieve (unfortunately the files provided aren't usable in my project): http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:11660

I know from looking around that it's a difficult manuever, but any help would be much appreciated!

Tags (3)
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
JDMather
in reply to: acelove27

Emboss might work, but have to do a bit of work to overcome distortion.

or

offset sphere as surface body and Extude between the solid and the surface, but again the work is in overcoming the distortion.

Split and thicken is another, all the work still comes down to the distortion. 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 3 of 3
acelove27
in reply to: JDMather

Thanks for the suggestions!

As you've pointed out, the "extrusion" from the sphere after the continents have been etched is not so difficult. The main issue still lies in being able accurately (not in terms of detail, but in terms of distortion) sketch/etch/slice the continents onto the globe.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums