Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creating a flat pattern of a bent plywood seat

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
AndrewBeekman9108
1158 Views, 4 Replies

Creating a flat pattern of a bent plywood seat

Hello, I have a model of a plywood seat "blank" which I have trimmed by way of an extrusion cut to give the plywood seat its shape.  Basically I'll use my modeled shape to CNC rout the shape into the actual blank.  However, before I tie up a CNC to make my 1st part I want to create a flat pattern which I will lay on the actual plywood blank and cut it out by hand to see if the shape aesthetically works.  I am trying to unfold/ unroll/ flat pattern the shape in inventor (as a sheet metal part) so I can plot it but am not able to do so successfully (fails).  Is the shape to complex?  I have attached an image of the blank, an image of the finished shape desired and the .ipt.  I'm not an expert at sheet metal but I have successfully done this sort of thing before making flat patterns of transition cones etc so I do think I am following the correct procedure but this part is far more complex that I am used to.  Also, the model of the "blank" was imported as an iges from my supplier before I made it a thickened surface so I'm afraid inventor doesn't "historically know" how it was created and therefore cannot flatten it.

Thanks in advance.

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

The problem is that you part is bended in two directions. So in this case sheet metal flat pattern is imposible.Smiley Sad

Message 3 of 5
mcgyvr
in reply to: SDereskevicius

@SDereskevicius wrote:

The problem is that you part is bended in two directions. So in this case sheet metal flat pattern is imposible.Smiley Sad

However seeing is this is furniture (aka art that doesn't require dimensional perfection) and only a slight dip in the seated section,etc.. I would model the part with just the major seat/back curve and then add 1/8"-1/4" or whatever to the side or whatever and flat pattern that.. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 4 of 5
AndrewBeekman9108
in reply to: mcgyvr

great suggestion- thank you!
Message 5 of 5

@AndrewBeekman9108 wrote:
... I'm afraid inventor doesn't "historically know" how it was created and therefore cannot flatten it.

Thanks in advance.

BTW - the history doesn't matter.  If the geometry follows the Inventor rules (planar, cylindrical, conic and constant thickness) Inventor will flatten it.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report