Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creating a Flange in Inventor 2013 Sheet Metal Help.

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
prajwal
1948 Views, 7 Replies

Creating a Flange in Inventor 2013 Sheet Metal Help.

Hello everyone, 

This is my first post in the autodesk forum. I am having some trouble creating a flange from the bottom cut section of the sheet metal in the attached file. The flange should be flushed with the bottom surface but should be vertical. Everytime I try to do it, it gives me an error message "Not a valid sheet metal edge: adjacent face thickness may be different from sheet metal settings". The whole body is made out of 0.25" plate and the width of the cut section is also 0.25" when I inspect it. Can anyone please let me know what is the problem? I really aappreciate any help. 

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
JDMather
in reply to: prajwal

Sketch1 is missing a coincident constraint between the midpoint of the 30in line and the origin.

Missing a vertical and horizontal constraint on the "left" side.

Missing a dimension on the left side (or equal constraints).

Sketch6 missing constraints and extra dimensions.

Extrusion1 will not result in correct sheet metal geometry.

Extrusion3 will not result in correct sheet metal geometry.

(Do not use Extrusions in Sheetmetal if not experienced.)  (if you examine the Flat Pattern in Wireframe - you should see the problems)

Several sketches that I don't understand the purpose of.

Back in a few minutes with improved design.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 3 of 8
CCarreiras

Hi!

Pay atteention to the flat pattern... In real life you will not have the "chanfer" in theinicial sheet.

This is due the cut (extrude). The thickness faces, must be always perpendicular to the top face.

1.png

You have to cut it in a different way.

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so, use the  Mark Solutions!  Accept as Solution or Give Kudos!Kudos - Thank you!

Regards.
CCarreiras
Message 4 of 8
prajwal
in reply to: JDMather

Thank you JDMather. What I am really trying to do is to create a flange from the edge of extrusion 3 to the XZ Plane and parallel to the XY plane. I imported the sketches from AutoCad so had to take off the dimentions. The top section is supposed to look like that, of course without the problem that carloscarreiras8703 has pointed out. I will have to figure out that too.

Message 5 of 8
CCarreiras
in reply to: CCarreiras

Hi!

Like i said, you must have 90º.

Check the part attached.

2.png

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so, use the  Mark Solutions!  Accept as Solution or Give Kudos!Kudos - Thank you!

Regards.
CCarreiras
Message 6 of 8
JDMather

Is something like this what you are after (see attached).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EESignature

Message 7 of 8
prajwal
in reply to: JDMather

Yes Sir, This is exactly what I was looking to do. Thank You so much. 

I was just wondering what is the purpose of the thicken feature that you have used in the model.

Message 8 of 8
JDMather

I "cheated" a bit by using surface modeling to complete the part.

It would have been too much work for me (I'm lazy) to use the sheet metal tools, but because I know that sheet metal is uniform Thickness, it was pretty easy to create trimmed surfaces and Thicken to get the desired geometry.

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report