Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creating a Drawing with Large Assembly

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
gehrkj02
685 Views, 11 Replies

Creating a Drawing with Large Assembly

Are there any other tricks (other than raster view and disabling preview) to allow large assemblies to load fast during drawing creation? It is not uncommon for some of the drawing views to take 15+ minutes to create. Assemblies that experience these slow load times are typically ~1,000 to 5,000 parts. Any ideas or future Inventor improvements planned for this issue?

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
salariua
in reply to: gehrkj02

I wouldn't consider that a large assembly but it all depends on your computer specs.

Inventor 2015 is slow on placing viewes but fix is due next service pack.

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-general-discussion/inventor-2015-slow-in-view-placement-scali...

Adrian S.
blog.ads-sol.com 

AIP2012-2020 i7 6700k AMD R9 370
Did you find this reply helpful ?
If so please use the Accepted Solutions or Like button - Thank you!
Message 3 of 12
gehrkj02
in reply to: salariua

Ok...good to hear that isn't considered large. Do you know when the release of the next service pack is scheduled? Rough timeline? 1 month? 1 year?

Thanks

Message 4 of 12
gehrkj02

Sorry...we are running Inventor 2014, 64-bit edition, SP2. Is this edition know to have issues too?

We run Windows 7 Professional, SP1, 16 GB RAM. Intel Xeon @ 3.6 GHz 

Message 5 of 12
benjoefoe

Are using Low Level of Details and View Representation an option? I work on assemblies that average 10-15 thousand parts. Makeing low level of details are an absolute MUST!

Thanks, Ben

AutoDesk Inventor 2020 Certified
Message 6 of 12
mpatchus
in reply to: benjoefoe

Our assemblies are typically upward of 40,000 parts, much of which are hardware subassemblies.

We will typically create a LOD to suppress all of our hardware assemblies.

With the scale of our views, you really can't make out a nut & bolt anyway.

This usually brings the assemblies down to a more manageable number.

View creation is usually no more than a minute or two.

Mike Patchus - Lancaster SC

Inventor 2025 Beta

Alienware m17, Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-10980HK CPU @ 2.40GHz 3.10 GHz, Win 11, 64gb RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Super

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below. 🙂
Message 7 of 12

Dear all,

Appreciate if anyone can help.

We have the same problem in creating drawing with large assy (+/- 17,000 parts), in Inventor 2014. It took very long time to place a view. We tried with higher spec computer, the process time is faster but we still have green bounding box which make us cannot put annotation on the drawings, such as dimensioning, etc. Please see attached image on the green bounding box. 

The green bounding box sometimes disappear after an hour, but sometimes it's still there and we can do nothing with it. 

Please kindly advise what's wrong about this. Thanks.

Tunjung Kertopati 

Message 8 of 12

I usually close down inventor and start a new session when this happens. That seems to clear the "Raster View Only" problem.

Adrian S.
blog.ads-sol.com 

Message 9 of 12

Hi Adrian,

Thanks for your prompt response.

Of course, it would be a workaround that we can try. But, do you know what this problem is related to? Is it cache lackiing problem? or is it simply that inventor couldn't handle large assy drawing conversion? 

It's quite critical for us in term of duration to complete our project on time. Maybe, if you can suggest whether it is cache, or memory, or graphic card memory problem, we can try to upgrade them to higher spec. please kindly advise further. 

best regards,

Tunjung Kertopati 

Message 10 of 12

Don't know what causes the problem but I remember some guys reporting that changing the view properties might force update. Not sure if just design view rep, LOD or linking on/off the view with the model did the trick.

If I manage to find that post I will give you the link.

Adrian S.
blog.ads-sol.com 

Message 11 of 12

Dear Adrian,

Thank you for helping. Appreciate it. 

Best regards,

Tunjung Kertopati 

Message 12 of 12

here it is:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-general-discussion/drawing-views-stuck-in-raster-view/m-p/512...

After you turn off the "Enable background updates" option in Application Options >> Drawing Tab (Near bottom left), if it is still stuck in raster state, supress that view and then unsupress it.  This is what finally worked for me.
here's another solution:

I got a similar problem with a huge assembly drawing (over 10'000 occurences).

"Raster" option in the edit view window always remained ticked.

"Make precise" was missing from the context menu.

My solutuion was to save all components in order to get them all migrated to 2014 (open assembly, "I" menu > save > save all) 

Next time I opened the drawing, there were no raster view any more.

Adrian S.
blog.ads-sol.com 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report