Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creating a casting part from an as machined part.

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
jferguson
3458 Views, 7 Replies

Creating a casting part from an as machined part.

I have a part that is designed to be made from a casting. In my workflow it makes more sense to create the as machined part first and then base the casting on the machined part usually by using save as and then deleting the machined features. I understand that you can easily go the opposite direction by creating the cast and then creating a derived part that you apply the machining features to. I tried to derive the casting in this way hoping that you could just suppress of delete features without altering the associativity between the two files but it appears that the derived part doesn't "know" about the features on the original, it's just a solid.

It would seem that this workflow would be a no brainer since most of the time the casting depends on the finished part which depends on the design specifications, so am I missing something or is there really no way to do what I want to do without having to go the messy route of having to manually alter two separate parts every time I alter the design?

Tags (2)
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
xxxr2050
in reply to: jferguson

Hello,

In my understanding, you designed a PART . And you need a workpiece(WP), the casting part,  which is associative with your design PART. When you design changes, your WP will be changed accordingly.

If so, my way is that: derive your PART, then you get a solid. Add features (manul modeling) onto it to make it as expected WP. So when your PART changes, the WP will be updated accordingly.  The risk here is that the update may fail if change is too big.

let me know whether this is helpful on your concern.

Message 3 of 8
jferguson
in reply to: xxxr2050

Well that would work and I have done that for one part, but it's not very efficient as you basically have to make the part twice, once for the as finished part and again for the as cast part... then there's the issue of weird updating issues if you change something on the original. I was hoping that there was some option I missed where a part could be derived with some features (essentially, the machining operations) permanantly suppressed.

Message 4 of 8
SBix26

It sounds as if you modeled this part starting with the cast shape and then adding features for the machining.  I think that you have a couple of options: re-do this, with the machining features added to a part derived from the casting; or making it into an iPart, where one of your rows is the finished part, the other, with the machining features suppressed, is the casting.

Message 5 of 8
jferguson
in reply to: SBix26

After looking at this a little more it's probably not that difficult to start from the casting and derive the as machined part, i's just a matter of having to work with 2 files in parallel. I would think however that a top down process (where the casting was driven by the final piece) would have been an option, I can't be the only one who has to design things before it's known how exactly it's going to be made.

Thanks all.

Message 6 of 8
blandb

What I have done for castings is to create the casting first as a part. Then place the cast part into an assembly, and do all the machining at that level with assembly features. Seems to work well.

Autodesk Certified Professional
Message 7 of 8
JDMather

@jferguson wrote:

In my workflow it makes more sense to create the as machined part first ...

...then Derive Component the part.
Use Delete Face with Heal to remove some machined features (like holes).

Add additional material to some machined features with move face, thicken or extrude and add casting fillets.

I think your workflow makes sense, as we often know the machined dimensions before the casting.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 8 of 8
MingweiGao
in reply to: SBix26

As sbixler said, you can make the part into an iPart,  one row is the machined part with the machining features suppressed. Another is the casting part. Refer to the attached part.

In addition, creating the finished part firstly and then create the casting part or creating the casting part firstly and then add the machining features, you can choose one choice as your needed.

Steven Gao

Sr. SQA Engineer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report