Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creating 3d threads on part

12 REPLIES 12
SOLVED
Message 1 of 13
guykeefer
2421 Views, 12 Replies

Creating 3d threads on part

Hello everyone. I'm assisting one of my professors in setting up our 3d printer and am currently trying to figure out the finer points of what works between it and Inventor projects. The main issue currently is that I can't figure out a good way to create threading on parts. The data the thread tool puts into the part does not transfer over to the 3d printer, so I have to find another way.

I recently have fooled with doing rifling in barrels using the coil tool and that seems like it's going to be the best way to go about it. Does anyone have any experience or tips for doing this? The main issue I'm having is determining what sort of profile the threading has. Obviously if the threads are angled a specific way and I don't put that into the drawing, the part will be improperly threaded.

Any tips/advice would be greatly appreciated.

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
blair
in reply to: guykeefer

If you are on IV2013, good to the add-in's and look for the 3d threads add-in. Open Inventor and select the "X" in the upper RH portion of the header menu. This works only in the IPT environment.

If not on IV2013, then it's the old fashion way of doing a sketch on the your part with the correct profile of the thread and using the Coil command with the "Cut" sub-command.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 3 of 13
JDMather

Very recently (within the past two weeks) someone asked a similar question and I posted an example.

A search might turn it up.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 4 of 13
guykeefer
in reply to: blair

I just downloaded 2013, so I will give that a try. Did they add in backwards compatibility? One of our labs has 2010, the newest has 2012, and I believe most of the students have 2010 or earlier.

I will definitely check out the addon and search for the other thread.

Message 5 of 13
PaulMunford

Autodesk Labs had a tool out for converting thread features into 3D threads.

I wrote a review of it that you might find useful here:

http://cadsetterout.com/resources/testing-the-autodesk-labs-thread-modeller-for-inventor-plugin/

Autodesk Industry Marketing Manager UK D&M
Opinions are my own and may not reflect those of my company.
Linkedin Twitter Instagram Facebook Pinterest

Message 6 of 13
JDMather

... I believe most of the students have 2010 or earlier.

Any student of any age anywhere in the world can download 2013 for FREE 3-yr learning license.

http://www.autodesk.com/edcommunity

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Message 7 of 13
guykeefer
in reply to: JDMather

I make sure that everyone in my engineering classes knows that they can receive free licenses. Some of the students are also working full time or have worked at companies that utilize previous versions so they continue to use those since they have it/it's openly available and they feel more comfortable using it.

The other issue is that the majority of students probably do not have computers powerful enough to making working on Inventor possible.We have an extensive computer lab now, but the larger of the two is running 2012 while the smaller one is running 2010. It's something that I keep bringing up, but I'm not a faculty member, so not much I can do. Smiley Indifferent

I'll be installing 2013 tonight and trying out the new labs. Hopefully that will solve my conundrum.

Message 8 of 13
JDMather

The add-in is not needed for modeling physical threads. 

This has been possible in Inventor as far back as I can remember (v5).

Message 9 of 13
jrohit1110
in reply to: PaulMunford

Doesn't work for Inventor 2021. The support is only till V2020

Message 10 of 13
johan.degreef

Did anyone mention this free add on?

https://apps.autodesk.com/INVNTOR/en/Detail/Index?id=2540506896683021779&appLang=en&os=Win64

Inventor 2024, Autocad Plant 3D 2024, Vault Professional 2024
Message 11 of 13
blair
in reply to: jrohit1110

Try this website for use with the current version of Inventor. The Autodesk App Store will have the version for IV2020 (shopping cart in the upper RH corner of Inventor)

Threadmodeler

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 12 of 13
jrohit1110

My model doesn't load in the online beta version.  

Github Issue

Nvm, I found the solution and posted it on the Github page. It was a version issue. Please read the complete thread for a proper understanding of how the threadModeller works.

Warm Regards,

Rohit Kumar J 

Warm Regards,

Rohit Kumar J

Message 13 of 13
johnsonshiue

Hi! ThreadModeler Add-In can continue to work for 2021 and later, if the Add-In file is modified. Look at the comments on the Add-In page. There is a procedure to make it work. Please try it and let me know if it works.

If not, I can share the exact steps.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report