Inventor General Discussion

anvileng
Message 1 of 1 (267 Views)

Creating 2D Shop Drawings

267 Views, 0 Replies
09-23-2011 12:02 PM

The steel assemblies we make usually consist of < 10 members, some of which have holes, are cut at angles, or are coped to match pipes, tube etc... Each member with an operation, say a drilled hole, requires a shop detail locating the hole. I am trying to come up with a way using Inventor Professional 2011 to do this linked to an excel file.

I've created a standard 3D part with hole locating parameters linked to an excel file and this works beautifully in generating a 3D model. I've created drawing views and annotated them with the dimensions I want and these dimensions update every time the excel sheet updates, which is great. The problem I am having is the drawing is always trying to regenerate itself to scale. These shop details need to be on an A size sheet whether the piece of steel is 10 or 100 inches long. I need to find a way to make a generic template where only the dimensions on the drawing change. 

Ideally, I could skip the 3D part step altogether and go straight to the shop drawing, but I would rather not have to do some VBA if there is an easier way.

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.