Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

create workplane independant of origin workplane

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
Mike686
454 Views, 6 Replies

create workplane independant of origin workplane

hi, i have a question about workplane..

i was reading mastering inventor, the part about ifeatures

he suggest to avoid the use of origin work plane

i read somewhere the same about icopy tool..

my question is what's the best way to create a workplane independant of origin workplane?

Product Design Suite 2017
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
japike
in reply to: Mike686

That depends on what you are trying to accomplish. Sometimes I use an offset workplane to define a workplane a certain distance from a surface or another workplane. Sometimes I use an edge or two to define a workplane. Sometimes I use sketch geometry to define a workplane. What are you trying to accomplish?

Peace,
Jeff
Inventor 2022
Message 3 of 7
cbenner

I'm not sure exactly what you are trying to do, but I prefer to use origin planes for feature creation whenever possible.  One thign I cannot stand is when a user work plane is created on top of an origin plane.  It's redundant and muddys up the part.  But if you need a workplane OFF the origin plane, and do not want to use the origin plane to create it... you can create it off of some geometry in your part.

Maybe post a screen shot or sketch of what you're trying to accomplish?

Message 4 of 7
JDMather
in reply to: cbenner

@cbenner wrote:

I'm not sure exactly what you are trying to do, ...

When creating iFeatures do not use the origin planes.  Can use part face (can be a dummy part - simple cube) - don't usually need a workplane, but if for some reason one is needed use dummy part face to create the plane.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 5 of 7
Curtis_Waguespack

Hi Mike686,

Typically when you're copying a part or feature you want to set them up to be as stable and self contained as possible. My advice for iFeatures is to choose origin planes or existing faces to use as sketch planes rather than creating work planes to sketch in. Otherwise the placement of the iFeature requires much more effort (basically you'd need to redefine the workplane again when placing it).

So I'm not sure that I would advise creating a work plane not based on an origin plane for iFeatures any more than one that is created based on an origin plane.

As others have suggested, you might share your specific case example for a better understanding of the challenge you're up against.

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Message 6 of 7
Mike686
in reply to: Curtis_Waguespack

hi guys,

first what i wanted to do was created a ifeature of a slotted hole

basicly its was for learning how to create an ifeatures

so i went and grab my "mastering inventor 2012" book and start reading about ifeatures

in the section "part and feature reuse" the part about ifeatures theres some tips for working with ifeatures

and i saw this tips:

"you should avoid the use of origin work planes,axes,and the origin center point for work features"...

and JDMather, i was gonna do a dummy part to use for the creation of my feature...

i saw the you tube video of ketiv technology and thats what the guy done in it..

so created a part file with a dummy solid then create a sketch on one face, then do my feature base on that sketch would be  a good way to do it?

Product Design Suite 2017
Message 7 of 7
PaulMunford

'There can be only one'
If you create iFeatures on the origin planes, when you place the iFeature it will place itself on the origin plane.
So, just like in Jon's tutorial, create a 'dummy' part to create your iFeature on instead.

Autodesk Industry Marketing Manager UK D&M
Opinions are my own and may not reflect those of my company.
Linkedin Twitter Instagram Facebook Pinterest

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report