Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Create Simplified Part - not so simple

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
Anonymous
1931 Views, 4 Replies

Create Simplified Part - not so simple

Good Day,

I'm trying to create a simplied part of a conveyor. It's not too big yet, just over 7000 occurrences - see attached. Yesterday after about 5 hours I crashed Inventor (2014) and tried again. Eventually I let my PC run through the night and this morning it had completed the task. To save took almost 2 hours, producing an *.IPT of just over 830MB. When I restarted my machine (to free the RAM again) I could not open, getting a serious error - attached as well.

The old shrinkwraps seemed to work way better. Does anyone have any tips or advice? I need to create a "dummy" model which breaks all links to the originals assemblies so no one can tamper with it.

My specs:
Inventor Professional 2014, 64 bit edition, I've got an HP Z400 desktop which is a 3.2GHz Processor with 4 cores, 12 GB RAM. NVIDIA Quadro 4000 graphics card.

Thanks,

Adrian

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
mcgyvr
in reply to: Anonymous

reduce occurances/remove unnecessary details/fasteners,etc...

Google "Inventor large assembly performance"

Lots of stuff on google/autodesk wiki site

http://wikihelp.autodesk.com/Inventor/enu/2012/Help/0073-Autodesk73/0460-Assembli460/Work_with_Large...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: mcgyvr

This assembly hardly has details and is not complete. I deal with far larger assemblies and in Inventor 2012 and 2013 had not had these problems. I always use level of details etc etc. - been using Inventor for years now, since 2005. But thanks for the link 🙂

I tried loading the model via Express mode and then converting it but no luck either. Shrinkwrap in 2013 never had this problem with assemblies 5 times this size.

Message 4 of 5
johnsonshiue
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi! The behavior you describe here does not sound right to me. Has anybody from Autodesk contacted you and asked for the dataset? If not, I can set up a secure account for you to upload the files. Please send me an email if you want to share the dataset with us. I would like to see how it behaves on the internal builds.

Thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 5 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: johnsonshiue

Our local support in Cape Town tried to help and offer suggestions - I tried shrinkwraps and substitutes as well. They said they would log it with Autodesk, their reply was:

"I think your advice of shrink wrapping each individual sub-assembly is a good option.

The main task here is to reduce the overall number of parts in the assembly.

Best regards"

The conveyor now stands at 2.8 GB so it's pretty big. Thanks for the help but at the moment we're just going to slog on. Otherwise export to DWG then import as SAT should work. Not ideal but it's an option. 

Thanks again,

Adrian

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report