Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Create Simplified Part Error

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
SeanFarr
4372 Views, 6 Replies

Create Simplified Part Error

I am trying to use Create Simplified part and during the creation process, something weird is happening and I can't figure it out.

I downloaded a model of a FD breaker off the Eaton Website in .stp format. I am simply trying to get a .ipt file of the model for my layout model.

So the steps I did:

1- Open .stp file

2- Save .stp file as an .iam inventor file (ignore the  prompt box "this is not a part file", that is from my logic rule for a

part file)

3- once saved in inventor format, I click the simplify tab, select create simplified part, select a name and directory and

press save

4- the .iam saves into a single part, BUT it is saved as sean.ipt, not the part number I assigned earlier and it is saved

to the directory C:\Users, not the directory I assigned in the dialogue box earlier.

Why does it do this every time I "dummy" down an assembly to a single .ipt file?

If these steps/post doesn't make too much sense, here is the video capture I took of it.

Thanks!

Video Here:

Sean Farr
Product Designer at TESInc.ca

Inventor Professional 2014-Update 2 - AutoCAD Electrical 2014
Win7-x64 | ASUS P8Z77-V | i7 3770 -3.4 GHz | 32GB RAM |
240GB SSD | nVidia GTX 670 4GB - 320.49
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
ebb16
in reply to: SeanFarr

Same problem here.  Seems to be associated saving across a network.  Please fix the problem.

Message 3 of 7
mikejones

If you only want a part file of the assembly why not go into the import options and check the box that says 'Import assembly as single part' and save yourself the extra steps you're going through?

Mike

Autodesk Certified Professional
Message 4 of 7
SeanFarr
in reply to: ebb16

@ebb16 wrote:

Same problem here.  Seems to be associated saving across a network.  Please fix the problem.

I work locally off my workstation, nothing is done over the server, I only back up at end of day to the server.

Sean Farr

Message 5 of 7
SeanFarr
in reply to: mikejones

@mikejones wrote:

If you only want a part file of the assembly why not go into the import options and check the box that says 'Import assembly as single part' and save yourself the extra steps you're going through?

Mike

Hey Mike,

Could you elaborate on your idea, seems like it would work, but I am not sure where I would Import assembly as single part, possibly a screenshot or something?

Much Appreciated!

Thanks!

Sean Farr

Message 6 of 7
mikejones

Hi Sean

I've attached a screen shot for you. Basically on the file open dialogue select your step file and then click the options button to open up the import options and tick the import assembly as single part. You have the option of creating a multi body part or a single composite feature.

Mike

Autodesk Certified Professional
Message 7 of 7
SeanFarr
in reply to: mikejones

This works perfectly! Thanks

However on a side note, the simplified part tool doesn't seem to work, should this reported somewhere or should we let it be?? If I can create simplified parts by the method above , what is this simplied part tool used for? Maybe just native inventor files and not meant for importing 3rd party files??

Thanks again!

Sean

Sean Farr

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report