Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Create sheet metal parts from solid

11 REPLIES 11
SOLVED
Message 1 of 12
narzinski04
2349 Views, 11 Replies

Create sheet metal parts from solid

I am trying to make a chute out of 4 pieces of sheet metal.  Is there a way to take a solid lofted part, shell it, and then break off each side of the the object for cutting and welding them together.  I have an example attached.  Thanks,

Nick

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
JDMather
in reply to: narzinski04

Shell does not result in the correct geometry for plates cut with the cut perpendicular to the flat.

A better methond might be

Loft as Surface body.
Derive Component the Surface body master into for individual parts.
Thicken surface to solid in each part file.
Any changes to the original master will be updated in the derived components.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 12
narzinski04
in reply to: JDMather

Thanks!  This sounds like it is exactly what I'm looking for, but I don't understand the step: "Derive Component the Surface body master into for individual parts."

Message 4 of 12
coreyparks

Take a look at the attached zip.  It uses a base sketch which is then derived into each side wall of the chute.  A lofted flange is then created between two lines to create one side and saved.  All 4 parts are doen similarly and then inserted into an assembly at the same origins.  The base sketch controls the whole thing you can change any size on the chute and it will update across the board.  In the base sketch I have circles around each of the corners to separate the lines make those circles 0.001" in dia to close the gaps at the corners.  There are other ways to build it that might be easier but this should hopefully give you a good start.

Please mark this response "Accept as solution" if it answers your question.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Corey Parks
Message 5 of 12
narzinski04
in reply to: coreyparks

Thanks Corey.  However, I'm getting a message: "Error in reading RSe stream" when I try to open your files.  

Message 6 of 12
JDMather

You didn't state that you are using a earlier release of Inventor and I guess Corey didn't check the iProperties of the file you attached.

Create the master file.
Start a new file and exit sketch mode.

On the Manage tab select Derived Component and select the master file.

You should be able to figure it out from there.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Message 7 of 12
coreyparks

I still run Inventor 2011 on a day to day basis.  I had to do a few things in 2012 and didn't pay attention thinking I was running 2011.  Oh, well I tried Smiley Happy.

Please mark this response "Accept as solution" if it answers your question.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Corey Parks
Message 8 of 12
luiww

Just for learning, I tried the concept mentioned and found poor edge conditions.  Can such approach be converted to sheet metal for flat pattern?

Message 9 of 12
JDMather
in reply to: luiww

You did not follow the instructions correctly.
This is an assembly of 4 parts.

Must thicken each part individually in it's own file.

Since these are planar parts with no bends they could actually be thickened as multibody solids and then push out the parts.
The instructions were intended to also cover more complex cases where there are bends (multi-body does not support sheet metal bends).

Message 10 of 12
JDMather

Derive Component the Surface body master into for individual parts.

That should have been four (4) parts.  (ipt files) 5 total, the master and 4 derived components.

Message 11 of 12
luiww

Yes and thanks.  I think I got it now.  The concept is to get 4 individual parts to form the main part when we are not able to form using sheet metal. Then modify each individual part's edge condition to meet the final part intend.

Message 12 of 12
JDMather
in reply to: luiww

The nature of sheet metal parts is that the cut is perpendicular to the flat.  Secondary machining processes would be needed on this design to make the  top flat when assembled.  This would only be done if the parts are relatively thick plates rather than thin sheets.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report