Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Create multiple frames in one assembly (Frame Generator)

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
Anonymous
8002 Views, 7 Replies

Create multiple frames in one assembly (Frame Generator)

Is it possible to create multiple frames in a single assembly environment? (i.e. Frame0001, Frame0002)

The members all lump together in one Frame regardless of when they are created in the workflow.

I know there is a workaround for this by making each frame in its own assembly...but that will be more cumbersome than it is worth in this application.

Right now I have just created folders in the Frame0001 to sort things out, but the folders are not very flexible as far as moving things in and out or reordering...it is a pain.

I've used the Frame generator to create my existing building columns, existing platform columns, and existing handrail. I'll be using the frame generator pretty soon here to build a new platform, which I would love to keep separate from the existing steel.

I suppose I could save the current assembly and insert it into a new one so I can add the new equipment, but I'd rather avoid large subassemblies like that. Seems like it would be a lot easier to just have an option to create Frame0002.

frame.png

(Inventor Professional 2014 Update 1, Windows 7 Professional)

Tags (1)
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
pcrawley
in reply to: Anonymous

Be very careful with Frames - you can go down the road of multiple frames, but you'll need to think carefully about assembly structures.

There are two great tools called "Promote with Frame Generator" and "Demote with Frame Generator".  Don't edit the frame assembly to access them, just multi-select & right-click the members whilst sitting at the assembly level shown in your screen-shot.  (You would have edited the Frame assembly to create those folders.)  With these special versions of Promote and Demote, you can build frame sub-assemblies which are really easy to detail because they are just .iam's like any other.  And you can perform cross-frame functions (like trimming members) between members of different sub assemblies - which is what you will want I'm sure.

If you mess with the srtucture of Frame Generator in any other way, it almost always ends in tears.

Peter
Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: pcrawley

Just had a play with this technique and it does exactly what I've been doing previously with multiple assemblies.  This is much easier. Thanks! Robot Very Happy

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous

Further to this I have a question.  I've noticed that once the frame members are assigned to sub-assemblies, I don't seem to be able to adjust the lengths.  My normal technique is to create a skeleton using 2D and 3D sketches, then I can change my sketch dimensions to adjust the frame length etc. Can this be done with sub-assemblies or is it locked in at this point?

Message 5 of 8
BLHDrafting

Take note that you should only demote FG members once.Demoting a second time (a sub-sub-assy) will break the link to the frame.

Brendan Henderson

Web www.blhdrafting.com.au
Twitter @BLHDrafting

Windows 7 x64 -64 GB Ram, Intel Xeon E5-1620 @ 3.6 GHz
ATI FirePro V7800 2 GB, 180 GB SSD & 1 TB HDD, Inv R2016 PDSU SP1 (Build 210), Vault 2016 Professional Update 1 (Build 21.1.4.0)
Message 6 of 8
pcrawley

Demoting Frame members should not break their link with their driving layout sketch(s).

Nor should demoting twice.  I just tried a simple frame in 2014 and a sub of a sub of a frame works just fine - see below:

5-07-2013 10-51-01 a-m-.jpg

I try and stick with a couple of rules that seem to give me nice stable frame assemblies:

1. I never edit the skeleton sketch in the context of the assembly.  I'll qualify that by saying editing dimensions is OK, but the temptation to project geometry from a frame member back into the skeleton is just toooooo great!  You end up with cyclic relationships - The skeleton drives the frame members, and the members drive the skeleton.  Something will break - I promise!  If you have adaptive symbols on your frame members and on your layout sketch, and you're not sure why, you're already doomed!

2. Where possible, I use 3d Sketches for layouts.  (They are much easier than people think.  Turn on your sketch grid, click the little plane on the triad icon and you can see exactly where you are drawing).  The primary reason for the 3d sketch is again - it prevents lots of untraceable projected geometry.  Agreed they take longer to draw because you draw every single line, but they are so stable.  I've never had a frame fail in any way built from a 3d sketch.  Second preference is to make a solid part as the layout piece and apply a translucent appearance to it.  Last preference is lots of 2d sketches - which is sadly the most common method.  It comes last because you inevitably have to project geometry from one sketch to another.  It's robust, but you often can't tell which sketch the geometry was projected from.  Unfortunately it's often unavoidable.  You just have to pick the method best suited to the job.

Final tip that often seems to get overlooked: When starting a frame assembly, use the "Make Layout" function to create your layout sketch part.  This automatically sets the BOM structure of the layout part to phantom thereby preventing it from appearing in the parts list on a drawing.

Don't forget "kudos" and to "mark as solution" to help others find what they are looking for.

(Anyone know what kudos actually does?!)

Peter
Message 7 of 8
BLHDrafting

The demote behaviour must have changed in 2013 and 2014. In 2011 and 2012 I had several issues with demoting FG members twice and loosing the connection to the frame sketch so that updates to the sketch did not update the frame member.

II just did a test in 2013 and it is working fine after 3 demotes.

Brendan Henderson

Web www.blhdrafting.com.au
Twitter @BLHDrafting

Windows 7 x64 -64 GB Ram, Intel Xeon E5-1620 @ 3.6 GHz
ATI FirePro V7800 2 GB, 180 GB SSD & 1 TB HDD, Inv R2016 PDSU SP1 (Build 210), Vault 2016 Professional Update 1 (Build 21.1.4.0)
Message 8 of 8
pcrawley
in reply to: BLHDrafting

That's good to hear!  (And you are absolutely right - it used to be broken.)

Peter

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report