Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Create LOD by Material type.

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
jfleeger
379 Views, 2 Replies

Create LOD by Material type.

Is there a way to suppress everything in an assembly that is not a certain material?  I have a large assembly for a nuclear research lab, and I need to know how much lead (by weight) is used in the final assembly.  I would use the BOM for this except some of my sub-assemblies have component patterns and cuts and it doen't add up correctly.  The qty listed in the BOM is the total generated by the pattern, so if I have a component that is cut in half at the assembly level, the BOM shows it as a whole. In manufacturing the cut off half would either be used somewhere else or scraped and would not contribute to the weight of the final assembly.

I keep thinking that a LOD that is "Just Lead Parts" would be very helpful not only for measuring the amount of lead used in an assembly, but also for other steps of the design process.  If there is a simplier way to get a correct weight estimate I am open to suggestions...

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
blair
in reply to: jfleeger

Not sure if this would help, Add a custom iProperty for Materials and filter on it: Suppress or unsuppress components by properties Use the Find command to locate components by properties such as stock number, change date, adaptive state, or BOM structure. All of the found components are marked in the browser. You can select individually or multiple components, and then suppress. 1.Click Open, and browse to the assembly file to open. 2.On the Open dialog box, click Options. 3.On the File Open Options dialog box, click Level of Detail Representations and select the desired representation. Click OK to close the dialog box. The graphics window and browser represent the selected representation. 4.Click the binoculars on the browser bar to open the Find Assembly Components dialog box. 5.Specify the desired search criteria and then click Add to List to add the criteria. Click Find Now and then click Close. All of the found components are marked in the browser. 6.Right-click the found components in the browser and select or clear the check mark on Suppress. 7.When you have suppressed unneeded components, rename the new level of detail with a descriptive name. 8.Save the file. You are prompted to name a new level of detail representation, capturing the current suppression states of components.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 3 of 3
jfleeger
in reply to: blair

I never thought to use the search filters for that. Thank you.  I didn't have to do anything with custom properties or anything.  I just searched for "lead" in the material type and after the search was finished I was able to isolate everything that it found and create a LOD from that view.  Thank again!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report