Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Create Flat Pattern of a transition

13 REPLIES 13
Message 1 of 14
Anonymous
471 Views, 13 Replies

Create Flat Pattern of a transition

Not being very familiar with the sheet metal functionality of IV can someone tell me how to create a flat pattern of a transition from a 5x6 rectangle to a 6" dia. circle? I tried creating a loft without success. Thanks.
13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

There's an example in Kent's site. http://www.mymcad.com/KWiK/iparts/iparts.htm ~Larry "kmatz" wrote in message news:7066793.1073358151685.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... > Not being very familiar with the sheet metal functionality of IV can someone tell me how to create a flat pattern of a transition from a 5x6 rectangle to a 6" dia. circle? I tried creating a loft without success. Thanks.
Message 3 of 14
Anonymous

Hmmm looks like I forgot that and a couple of other things when putting stuff on the new site. I will have to get those moved over. Thanks Larry. -- Kent Keller http://www.KWiKMcad.com (Please update your links) Assistant Moderator Autodesk Discussion Forum Moderator Program "Larry Caldwell" wrote in message news:3ffa2717$1_3@statler... > There's an example in Kent's site. > http://www.mymcad.com/KWiK/iparts/iparts.htm > ~Larry
Message 4 of 14
Anonymous

Yeah, don't you have an animation of that? Actually that's what I put in the email but when I went to get the link, couldn't locate it. Guess I could have imagined it. ~Larry "Kent Keller" wrote in message news:3ffa2c6c_5@statler... > Hmmm looks like I forgot that and a couple of other things when putting > stuff on the new site. I will have to get those moved over. Thanks > Larry. > > -- > Kent Keller > http://www.KWiKMcad.com (Please update your links) > > Assistant Moderator > Autodesk Discussion Forum Moderator Program > > "Larry Caldwell" wrote in message > news:3ffa2717$1_3@statler... > > There's an example in Kent's site. > > http://www.mymcad.com/KWiK/iparts/iparts.htm > > ~Larry > >
Message 5 of 14
bill.costello

Hi

I don't know if this helps or not, but when you do a square to round, there needs to be small rads at the corners of the square and tiny flats at each quadrant of the circle, check out the FREE models of sheet metal stuff at www.fccsoftware.com (look for the FREE Inventor library, you can modify these to make the size you need) these guys are the best I know for sheet metal, they also do AutoPOL for unfolding the things that Inventor won't, you can download a free eval copy of their software, I use it a lot to unfold all sorts of weird and wonderful things.
regards

Bill
Message 6 of 14
Anonymous

http://www.avat.com/training/elearning/media/techtips/index.asp?mid='61' This is a great site (Avatech) "kmatz" wrote in message news:7066793.1073358151685.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... > Not being very familiar with the sheet metal functionality of IV can someone tell me how to create a flat pattern of a transition from a 5x6 rectangle to a 6" dia. circle? I tried creating a loft without success. Thanks.
Message 7 of 14
Anonymous

Bill, I downloaded and installed the "Free" Library. This is nicely done, but is really only useful for laying out the design. None of the parts will flatten in Inventor without a little work. Most of them will not flatten at all. Would be great if Autodesk supplied templates like these that would flatten. Thanks, Kirk "bill.costello" wrote in message news:28873029.1073382576683.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... > Hi > > I don't know if this helps or not, but when you do a square to round, there needs to be small rads at the corners of the square and tiny flats at each quadrant of the circle, check out the FREE models of sheet metal stuff at www.fccsoftware.com (look for the FREE Inventor library, you can modify these to make the size you need) these guys are the best I know for sheet metal, they also do AutoPOL for unfolding the things that Inventor won't, you can download a free eval copy of their software, I use it a lot to unfold all sorts of weird and wonderful things. > regards > > Bill
Message 8 of 14
KevMat

I have tried and retried and re-retried the example on the Avatech site and keep getting a "no bending zone" error. What does this mean? Any ideas?

Thanks
Message 9 of 14
Anonymous

I don't do a lot of sheet metal, but if you can post your attempt in CF I'll look at it. "KevMat" wrote in message news:5555336.1073416552882.JavaMail.javamailuser@localhost... > I have tried and retried and re-retried the example on the Avatech site and keep getting a "no bending zone" error. What does this mean? Any ideas? > > Thanks
Message 10 of 14
Anonymous

Do you get that message when trying to make a Flat Pattern? If so try preselecting a face before hitting the Flat Pattern button. -- Kent Keller http://www.KWiKMcad.com (Please update your links) Assistant Moderator Autodesk Discussion Forum Moderator Program "KevMat" wrote in message news:5555336.1073416552882.JavaMail.javamailuser@localhost... > I have tried and retried and re-retried the example on the Avatech site and keep getting a "no bending zone" error. What does this mean? Any ideas? > > Thanks
Message 11 of 14
bill.costello

Kirk
I also have the same problem in Inventor, Inventor as good as it is at creating the sheet metal shapes, the unfolder is just not up to doing some of the more complex things, that is why I use AutoPOL, the same goes dor SolidWorks and SolidEdge, their unfolders are not that good and really only suitable for regular bend sheet metal, try asking any of these packages to unfold a straight variable fillet bend (lofted) say from 2mm to 10mm along a length, none of the above can do this (SW has a variable command but it will only unfold parts created with that command). Try downloading the FREE eval version of AutoPOL and see what you think, it also unfolds "LIVE" Inventor models, so while you have IV open you can open that file in AutoPOL with the Inventor Exchange (no translation required), the results are perfect. As you can tell I have been a fan of AutoPOL for many years and used it in earlier versions of AutoCad to give me full SM capabilities. By the way the eval version needs no keys or codes, it just works, the problem is you canot save. I think AutoPOL should be used as a sheet metal production tool as that is where it seems to fit best, and it unfolds models from any other system as well.

regards

Bill
Message 12 of 14
KevMat

I posted the file in CF. I did try selecting faces prior to selecting the flat pattern without success. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you!
Message 13 of 14
KevMat

Just a side note, I did select faces prior to selecting the flat pattern command without success. Basically, I've tried everything I can think of and still get the same error.
Message 14 of 14
Anonymous

When I look directly 90 deg at the top and bottom edges the top and bottom are not parallel. When I zoom in close there is stair-stepping. I would figure out why the stair-stepping first. You might want to check out the Firkant_cirkel-Mads.ipt model referenced earlier. For some reason that model does not display when I do a flat pattern, but it give no errors and does produce a flat pattern view in idw. J.D.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report