Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Create assembly that can be adjusted for each instance?

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
schnautza
326 Views, 6 Replies

Create assembly that can be adjusted for each instance?

I did some browsing on the forum and couldn't find what I was looking for - I do not know much about iParts, iAssemblies, or iLogic, but suspect it is what I need to do this.

I want to create some modules for a platform deck. The modules are made of C5x6.7 channels in one direction, L2x2x3/16 angle stiffeners in the other direction, and 3/16" deck plate on top.

My "drivable" parameters will be length and width.

The modules will all be different sizes, so I need to be able to have every instance of the assembly be different.

The workflow I was attempting to do before I got stuck was this:

1. Create a skeleton part (just a sketch) with Length and Width parameters.

2. Insert in an assembly and use frame generator to build the structural shapes (channels and angles)

3. Insert another part (the 3/16" plate) that can reference the length and width and adjust to be the correct module size.

Is there a way to make parts in an assembly all follow the same parameters?

More importantly, can each instance of this assembly show up differently and be adjustable when I place these modules in my main assembly?

I don't know much about iParts - but it looks like an iPart lets you choose from predefined dimensions - I want something that I can custom input any size I need.

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
cbenner
in reply to: schnautza

Hi,

I've never done this with an assembly, but I have done something similar with parts.  We put loose pieces of grating into the large open areas of our frames, and I was playing around with how to show them, for visual purposes only.  An ipart wouldn't work since there are essentially an infinite number of size combinations.  So I created a base part that was simply a rectangle, with no dimensions on the sketch, constrained as symmetrical about the origin planes in both directions, but otherwise unconstrained.  The Extrusion is made to be adaptive.

Now, when I wan t to use it, I place a copy of it into my assembly (has to be a separate part for each piece), and make the part adaptive at the assembly level.  Then using mate constraints I constrain it to an open area in my frame, and watch it "grow" to fill the area.

Theoretically, you could do the same thing with your frame assembly, but like I said, I've never tried it yet.  This might give you an idea to play with, however.  If you made your deck plate the same way, it would "fill" the open areas of the deck segment.  And if you left your frame skeleton sketch also unconstrained and undimensioned, (again theoretically), when placed in an assembly the whole thing should "fill" the area to which you constrain it.

If I get some time later I'll mess with this a bit... but I have a lot of 2d work sitting in front of me today.  Smiley Frustrated

Worth a try?

Message 3 of 7
mcgyvr
in reply to: cbenner

You can create new iparts (different dimensions) on the fly when placing them into an assembly.

Time to watch a few ipart/iassembly tutorials and try it out to see if it will accomplish what you want.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 4 of 7
schnautza
in reply to: mcgyvr

mcgyvr - I tried looking for some iassembly tuturials before but couldn't find anything useful (and in English).

Got any videos that you think would help?

Message 5 of 7
blair
in reply to: cbenner

You will have a problem with the deck-plates unless you plan to cut each plate a custom size rather than trying to make use of stock plate sizes.

Possibly posting a picture/screen capture of your intended frame/platform would help as well.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 6 of 7
schnautza
in reply to: blair

Here is the underside of a basic module. It's made of C5x6.7, L2x2x3/16, and 3/16" plate.

The outside dimensions need to be variable for each occurrence of the assembly.

Untitled.png

I can't find any useful English tutorials of iAssemblies - so if anybody knows of any, please point me in the right direction.

Message 7 of 7
blair
in reply to: schnautza

A simple Sketch and using Frame-Gen should be able to control assembly. Again the only problem would be trying to have separate sheets for the main deck, or depending on the size you could just use a single large sheet. I don't know how to set limits (rules) in F-G to control this.

I guess at some point the human factor will need to step in.

You might consider iAssemblies as well.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report