Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Create a work plane perpendicular to a surface

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
maria9876
19913 Views, 10 Replies

Create a work plane perpendicular to a surface

Does anyone know how to create a work plane that is perpendicular to a surface? I'm trying to do this so that I can "split" the object into two separate entities where the plane is. Thanks.

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
cwhetten
in reply to: maria9876

That greatly depends on the nature of the surface.  There are an infinite number of planes that are perpendicular to a given surface.

Attach your part and say which version you are using.  Or at the very least, a screen image of your part.

Message 3 of 11
maria9876
in reply to: cwhetten

Message 4 of 11
cwhetten

OK, now I can see your part.  Where do you want to create a workplane?  You've got to help me to help you...I can't read your mind.  Smiley Happy

Message 5 of 11
maria9876

Right sorry, I want to crate a work plane right above the hole (almost tangent to the top  of the hole, but not quite - just a little above it). I want the work plane to be perpendicular to one of the flat parts of the mouthpiece. It doesn't matter which one since I'm just trying to split it. 

Message 6 of 11
cwhetten

This is just my ignorance, but I've never played an ocarina, so I don't know where the mouthpiece is...? Smiley Embarassed

Maybe sketch a line on your screen image that shows just where you want the work plane.  It would also help if you posted the part, so I can give you some more helpful advice.

Message 7 of 11
maria9876

I attached the part. Sketch 7 contains the line where I would like the work plane (perpendicular to the body of the object). Thanks.

Message 8 of 11
cwhetten

Ok, I see now.  It is possible to use a sketch to help define a work plane.  In this case, you could use the line you sketched.

First, activate the work plane command.  Pick the sketched line, and then pick the face that the sketch is on.  This creates a work plane that passes through the sketch line, at a specified angle to the selected face.  Since you want it to be perpendicular, specify 90 degrees.

Message 9 of 11
maria9876

This worked great thanks!

One more thing, when I try to make a shell with a 1.5 cm thickness to the lower part of the object (after the split), there's an error message that reads:

"Could not create a new shell, Ocarina soprano to scale bottom.ipt: Errors occurred during update, Shell 1: Could not build this shell, The attempted shell operation had non-manifold inputs. Try with manifold inputs."

What went wrong?

Message 10 of 11
cwhetten

There is some geometry here that Inventor can't shell.  It is around the circular hole.  Look at the picture below:

Shell problems.png

The areas I circled in red are most likely where Inventor is struggling.  The area in blue I am unsure about, but it may be problematic, too.  I filled in the hole and smoothed out where it intersects the rectangular hole (as if the hole never existed), and the shell works fine.

Also, I assume you meant a shell thickness of 1.5mm (not cm)?

Message 11 of 11
maria9876

Thanks! Smiley Happy

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report