Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Create a surface in assembly in order to measure flow area.....

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
DougH24
3635 Views, 9 Replies

Create a surface in assembly in order to measure flow area.....

Hi All,  Can anyone explain how to create a revolve surface in an assembly for the purpose of measuring a flow area through a specific area?  See the attached JPG, I basically have a conical internal diameter with a pin protruding into it..... I need to measure the flow area as shown in the sketch attached here.  Please let me know if anyone can be of any help.   FYI....... the way I have this shown in the attached JPG is the way that we had previously performed this in Pro-e.  Thanks in advance!  Doug

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
JDMather
in reply to: DougH24

I can't tell anything from the image posted, but -

you could create a new part and in the context of the assembly Copy Object to get surfaces to aquire the information you need.

Attach the assembly here if you can't figure it out.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 10
DougH24
in reply to: JDMather

Sorry, this attachment may better explain what I'm attempting to do.  Doug

Message 4 of 10
JDMather

Create a new part in the context of the assembly.

Project Geometry the reference lines/points from the assembly parts.

Sketch the line you show.

Revolve Surface.

Attach your assembly (or simplified representation) here if you can't figure it out.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Message 5 of 10
Curtis_Waguespack

Hi DougH24,

I'm not sure if this will help, but there is an option in the Loft tool called Area Loft that might work. It will allow you to determine or speciffy the area of the loft section.

http://wikihelp.autodesk.com/Inventor/enu/2012/Help/0073-Autodesk73/0308-Parts308/0353-Part_fea353/0...

For instance, here the red arrow indicates a section that is specified in the loft to be 800mm^2, the area of the sketched sectons are reported also:

Autodesk Inventor Area Loft.png

Just something to try maybe.

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Message 6 of 10
graemev

Or you could use a bit of math:

Area of a frustum of a cone:

A = π s (R + r)

Where: s = length of side (Not height)

R = radius of bottom circle

r = radius of top circle

Message 7 of 10
DougH24
in reply to: graemev

Ya, I've already done it the old school way, thanks! ..... I guess I'm simply spoiled after a decade + of simply sketching a line and revolving it as surface in Pro-e.  The nice thing about these surfaces is that you could leave it surpressed in your assembly and it'll update as you modifiy your assembly thus allowing you to check your surface area through that specific area at any time (without having to go through the math everytime).  

Message 8 of 10
JDMather

@DougH24 wrote:

..... I guess I'm simply spoiled after a decade + of simply sketching a line and revolving it as surface in Pro-e.  The nice thing about these surfaces is that you could leave it surpressed in your assembly and it'll update as you modifiy your assembly thus allowing you to check your surface area through that specific area at any time (without having to go through the math everytime).  

You can do exactly the same thing in Inventor.  Trivial 1 minute exercise when you know how.
Post example assembly here (make something up).

Message 9 of 10
DougH24
in reply to: JDMather

JDMather and all who replied.... Thank you!  The difference is that in Inventor we need to create a "part" to revolve a sketched line as a surface.  In Pro this was simply an assembly feature... no additional part file was required.  Thanks again! Doug  

Message 10 of 10
JDMather

Actually there was no need to create an additional part - you could have done it in any of the existing relevant parts in the assembly.

I just suggested another part as some post here with confusion about solids and surfaces and also it might be a better technique for housekeeping of files.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report