Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Create a solid from two surfaces.

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
ahammack
1915 Views, 9 Replies

Create a solid from two surfaces.

I have two .dwg files that represent two different surfaces.  I woudl like to import each .dwg file into Inventor, then creat a solid with the original surfaces serving as the top and bottom.  How can I do this?  I can send the .dwg files if necessary.

Tags (3)
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
EScales
in reply to: ahammack

Create a new part and in then create a new sketch.  Import the dwg file into the sketch.  Finish the sketch.

Create a work plane offset from the first sketch plane whatever distance you'll want the finished solid height to be.

Create a new sketch on that new work plane and import the second dwg file.  Finish the sketch.

Now, create a loft between the two sketches and you have a solid with each of your dwg files on the ends of the solid.

Attach the files if you need help.

Message 3 of 10
kenjacques8585

Have you tried creating an intermediate sketch and extruding to the surfaces?

See attached

Message 4 of 10
ahammack

I haven't tried anything.  I'm a new Inventor user.  I couldn't find anything online that talked about doing something like this in Inventor.

Message 5 of 10
EScales

Here's a simple video explaining how to create a loft.  In your case, instead of actually drawing your lines and circles in the sketch, you're going to insert the ACAD dwg into the sketch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4o6L-gOI3pU

Message 6 of 10
JDMather

@ahammack wrote:

I haven't tried anything.  I'm a new Inventor user. 

I think most experienced Inventor users would suggest that you NOT try, as a beginner, to reuse AutoCAD geometry in Inventor.

There is nothing really wrong with it, and I'm sure you are more comfortable with AutoCAD - but take my word having taught hundreds (thousands?) of former AutoCAD users - start from scratch in Inventor unless the AutoCAD geometry is something particularly complex (I'm thinking of a Maple Tree Leaf as an example someone wanted to emboss that would have been easier to import the existing AutoCAD geometry).  If it is simple, simply do it over.

If you are experienced in Inventor - then simply import the AutoCAD geometry.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 7 of 10
EScales
in reply to: JDMather

@Anonymous wrote:
If it is simple, simply do it over.

If you are experienced in Inventor - then simply import the AutoCAD geometry.

Absolutely!  Doing it over is always better.

Message 8 of 10
ahammack

Unfortunately, the surfaces I am trying to import are complex - one of them represents a river bed.  I tried uploading the files, but they are too large to upload to the forum.  I could import the points (there are hundreds) and create new surfaces that way, but I couldn't find anything online about how to do that, either.

Message 9 of 10

@ahammack wrote:

...one of them represents a river bed...

Maybe it would be best if you explained your overall goal. I assume you're not designing the river bed Smiley Wink, so is this going to be used as a reference for a structure frame, etc.? Or are you possibly attempting to use Inventor for some purpose other than mechanical design?

If you provide the big picture, I'm sure someone will be able to provide some direction.

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Message 10 of 10
JDMather

@ahammack wrote:

I tried uploading the files, but they are too large to upload to the forum. 

The file size limit is much larger over here http://www.augi.com

In Windows Explorer right click on the file and select Send to Compressed (zipped) Folder and then attach the resulting *.zip file.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report