Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CPU & Inventor 2012/2013

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
topcadgmbh
2157 Views, 6 Replies

CPU & Inventor 2012/2013

Hi,

when I use a PC with more then one CPU can Inventor 2012/2013 use then all, or is it only running on one CPU?

BR

Tom

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
sam_m
in reply to: topcadgmbh

For most of its use Inventor only uses 1 core.  The main things that take advantage of multiple cores/cpus are rendering, fea and with 2012 (and newer) each idw view is rendered/calculated with a separate core.

Sam M.
Inventor and Showcase monkey

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question...
If you have found any post to be helpful, even if it's not a direct solution, then please provide that author kudos - spread that love 😄

Message 3 of 7
mrattray
in reply to: sam_m

This isn't just an Inventor limitation, unless someone's come up with something new in the past few years that I didn't get the memo on. The problem is with any 3D CAD application, each feature in a model tree has to be fully computed before the next one can. Only one processor can work on a feature at a time, hence only one processor gets used.

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 4 of 7
cwhetten
in reply to: sam_m

I don't think FEA uses multiple cores.  At least it doesn't when I use it (I REALLY wish it did...).  I've only ever seen it run 1.  Maybe it does in 2013, but not in 2012.

Message 5 of 7
henderh
in reply to: cwhetten

I can confirm that R2013 FEA (Stress Analysis) can utilize as many cores as your machine has for meshing and solving.  It is managed by the Windows O/S multi-core technology.

Hope this helps!

Best regards, -Hugh

Hugh Henderson
QA Engineer (Fusion Simulation)
Message 6 of 7
psp
Enthusiast
in reply to: mrattray

I agree the limitation that each feature in a model tree has to be fully computed before the next one can.

But there are many other time consuming tasks that could be distributed to multiple cores. As an example I do a lot of configurations in Inventor where one skeleton part is derived into many parts.

When I make changes in the skeleton part, perhaps 100 parts should be updated in the assembly. Each part could easily be calculated in its own process.

Message 7 of 7
stevec781
in reply to: psp

DSS have figured out how to use more than 1 core at part level iin Catia - so it is possible, the question is now how long will it take autodesk programmers to figure out how to do it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4pS5kSBh6A

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report