Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Could Not Insert Object...STP file..

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
dpvols21
1063 Views, 3 Replies

Could Not Insert Object...STP file..

I know this problem has been posted before...however, I have a problem with creating a drawing from the .stp file.  I had Inventor 2009 Professional at work and was just upgraded to 2010 Professional.  Also my computer was a 32-bit running Vista when I had 2009.  Now I have 2010 running on a 64-bit system with Vista.  When I had 2009 the .stp file i had would load up with no problem..and I could create drawings from it with no problem.  Now when I try to load the same .stp file Inventor gives me the error "Can not insert object."  The actual .stp file is of an assembly with 4 parts.  On the screen the whole assembly is there.  But when I try to create a drawing from a particular view, the part that Inventor says could not insert does not show up in the drawing.  I can see it in the 3d view but it's gone in the drawing. 

To make things more confusing...if I copy that part into it's own file and load that part up by itself and create a drawing from it..it DOES show up in the drawing....

Can anyone help me with this?

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
AustinLiu
in reply to: dpvols21

Hi,

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Have you turned off the UAC on Vista OS? Are the imported data in Inventor 2010 all surfaces?

Would you please attach the STP file here or send to me via email? I can check it on my computer.

Thanks,

Austin

Austin-Zongjie Liu
Zongjie.Liu@autodesk.com
Software Quality Assurance Manager
Design, Lifecycle & Simulation
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 3 of 4
dpvols21
in reply to: AustinLiu

Unfortunately, I'm not allowed to turn the UAC off.  The parts are solid bodies except for the one that isn't showing up in the drawings.  It has become a work surface i believe.  It has the pink arch next to it in the browser instead of a yellow cube.  And again, unfortunately, I will not be able to send the file to you.  I know I'm not giving you much to work with.  I'm in the process of getting an administrator to reinstall 2009 Inventor to see if that will fix the problem too. 

Message 4 of 4
JDMather
in reply to: dpvols21

Post the file here.
You most likely have surface bodies rather than solid bodies.
You can create idw drawings of ipt surface bodies.
To create idw drawing of iam of ipt surface bodies you must have at least one solid and select to Include Surfaces.

See http://au.autodesk.com/?nd=class&session_id=3056

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report