Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

costing calculation

24 REPLIES 24
Message 1 of 25
Anonymous
684 Views, 24 Replies

costing calculation

Is there a way I could, get a idw to add things up for me ?? What I would like to do is put a cost in against by parts and then from the parts list add it up for me. I know I can export into excel and do it but I would like inventor to do if possible

Thanks
24 REPLIES 24
Message 2 of 25
malleswara.rao
in reply to: Anonymous

iam also searching for this type. if you know the solution please just share with me.
Message 3 of 25
Anonymous

There is no mechanism to do any kind of summations at this time in parts
lists (other than quantity).

--
Andrew Faix
Product Designer
Autodesk Inventor
Message 4 of 25
Anonymous

AFAIK it is possible.

In the Parts List Style Editor, create a new parts list style for cost. Choose the columns that you want in the Parts List, make sure that the Estimated Cost (or whatever custom iProp you are using) is a column. Then in the Default Columns Settings, double-click on the Estimated Cost cell under the Property column. This should open the Format Column dialog. Go to the Substitution column and Enable Value Substitution. Then under "When exists, use value of" select the Estimated Cost iProp and "When rows are merged, value used is" Sum of Values. Save the Parts List style and close the dialog.

Create a parts list and apply the Cost style formatting. What you should see in the Estimated cost column is the estimated cost for one item multiplied by the quantity of the item.

All that is left is to combine items to get a total cost. Open the Styles Editor and select your Cost style for editing. Click on the Grouping button in the Default Columns Settings box. You now want to group items based on your needs. For example, we have a SUB-ASSEMBLY iprop defined for all parts. This can be either MILL, CNC, or HARDWARE. If I choose the first key in the Grouping settings to be SUB-ASSEMBLY, then the parts list will combine all MILL items, all CNC items and all HARDWARE items and give a summed cost for each of the three catagories. If you want a total cost for the project, then use an iProp which all parts have in common to group by. The grouping column has to appear in the Parts List however. So if you want to group by the Project iProp for example, then all the parts need to have the same value for Project and Project needs to be a column in the Parts List.

hope this helps
Tags (1)
Message 5 of 25
Anonymous

That's a great solution, Josh - wish I had thought of it 😞

--
Andrew Faix
Product Designer
Autodesk Inventor
Message 6 of 25
Anonymous

turn that frown upside down Andrew 🙂 Here's a link to a tut that explains better:

http://www.mcadforums.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3626
Message 7 of 25
Anonymous

Thanks, that's exactly what I want, when I try it though I get a substitute error in the parts list, I've attached a sample
Message 8 of 25
Anonymous

I don't have 11 installed at work, can you post a screen shot of the error?
Message 9 of 25
Anonymous

Thanks josh, I figured it out, I have another question if you have a moment, If you imagine a 1m steel pipe which would cost £10, could I get inventor to calculate the cost if the length was longer or shorter than 1m. I know this sounds complicated I would just like to know if I'm wasting my time trying this over and over again
Message 10 of 25
Anonymous

if you define a user parameter UNIT_COST and put the cost per unit length, then have a parameter LENGTH, and have another user parameter TOTAL_COST = UNIT_COST*LENGTH, then you can apply the substitution and merging on the TOTAL_COST. You won't be able to combine iProps and Parameters though, so you can't multiply LENGTH by the Estimated Cost iProp.
Message 11 of 25
malleswara.rao

how to sort it out this problem
Message 12 of 25
Anonymous

thanks josh,

Ever thought of working for autodesk ??
Message 13 of 25
Anonymous

I'm presuming these cost parameters would be unitless ??
Message 14 of 25
Anonymous

>these cost parameters would be unitless

hmm, guess so cause there isn't a unit type for currency! (I didn't notice this til now). It would probably work best if the UNIT_COST units were = 1/length unit. This way when you multiply, the TOTAL_COST will be unitless instead of having units of length.

>Ever thought of working for autodesk?

:-) not really, I'm just another user who spends alot of time watching an hourglass turn over and has some free time to surf the forums. Glad I could help.
Message 15 of 25
Anonymous

iCenter handles this stuff quite easily.
I'm not on commission, honestly.

Derek
wrote in message news:5349744@discussion.autodesk.com...
Is there a way I could, get a idw to add things up for me ?? What I would
like to do is put a cost in against by parts and then from the parts list
add it up for me. I know I can export into excel and do it but I would like
inventor to do if possible

Thanks
Message 16 of 25
Anonymous

I've got the length one working now, but the problem I have now is if I create this as an I part, I expose the parameters so I can get the items in the parts list, but if I have an Ipart with eg 3 different lengths, when i do the parts list of an assembly, the parts list shows the default value not the value it actually is --- any ideas ????
Message 17 of 25
jerodharbert

I tried Josh's method above, but I am also getting a "substitution error" for summing the Estimated Cost values. Do you happen to know the reason for this error?
Message 18 of 25
Anonymous

most likely a unit mis-match, can you post a screen shot?
Message 19 of 25
jerodharbert

Not sure what you are trying to look at, a screen shot of the substitution gui? or the "parts list"? I left the formating to the default, since it's a cost figure.
Message 20 of 25
Anonymous

How did you get past the "substitute error" issue.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report