Inventor General Discussion

*Expert Elite*
karthur1
Message 1 of 3 (197 Views)
Accepted Solution

Copy view / Replace model Reference

197 Views, 2 Replies
06-12-2012 09:29 AM

One of the new features in 2013 is the ability to copy a view that is on the idw.  Is there a way to copy/paste a view, then replace the reference of ONLY the part in the view that was just copied?

What I have is two parts. For simplicity, just imagine both as a square plate.  One has a hole in it, one doesnt.  I have already dimensioned the square plate. Now I copy the view and paste it back on the sheet.  I want to replace the reference of the one I just copied and change the reference to the part with the hole.  If I use replace model reference command, it will replace both references, which is what I dont want.

Just a wish I guess, but the only way I can do this now it to place the second part on the sheet and start dimensioning it.  Seems like a waste when we almost have the tools to quickly complete this.

Kirk

This is a pure guess as I haven't used this feature.

It is an awkward workaround if it works at all, but can you copy the view to a new drawing perform the replace there and then copy back to the original.

Maybe worth a try.

*Expert Elite*
harco
Message 2 of 3 (192 Views)

Re: Copy view / Replace model Reference

06-12-2012 10:21 AM in reply to: karthur1

This is a pure guess as I haven't used this feature.

It is an awkward workaround if it works at all, but can you copy the view to a new drawing perform the replace there and then copy back to the original.

Maybe worth a try.

Distinguished Mentor
pauldoubet
Message 3 of 3 (188 Views)

Re: Copy view / Replace model Reference

06-12-2012 10:25 AM in reply to: harco

harco is correct, you can do this using a new dwg/idw file. I have done this as it is the only work around that I know of and it works fine, just a few extra mouse clicks.

Hope this helps, Paul

Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.