Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Copy Solid from one Part and place into another

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
karthur1
5299 Views, 6 Replies

Copy Solid from one Part and place into another

I have a multi-solid part.  I would like to take one of the solids and copy it into another part.  I could derive my multi-solid part into the part, but is there a way to just copy/paste the body into the other part?  I could not figure out a way to do it, but maybe I am missing something.

Kirk

2014-05-02_0828.png

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
johnsonshiue
in reply to: karthur1

Kirk,

You could use Copy Object command to do that. Drop the two parts (the copy source part and the copy part) in an assembly. Then edit the copy part in place. Next, use Copy Object to transfer the solid body to the copy part. You can keep it associative (or unassociative). If you chose associative option, it would behave like adaptive. Please note that the position of the copied body will be the same as in the copy source part within the assembly, which can be different from the position in the copy source part with respect to the part coordinate system.

Let me know if it works for you.

Thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 3 of 7
karthur1
in reply to: johnsonshiue

This workflow will work for "normal" parts.  I now have an iPart that I want to copy a solid into.  When the ipart is in the assembly, I can't edit the part in the context of the assembly.  I have to open the part explicitly. Doing this, I am not allowed to copy the solid into the other part.

Kirk

Message 4 of 7
dan_inv09

You could copy your iPart table, convert to a regular part, do the thingy, then make the part an iPart again and paste the table back.

Or did you already try that?

Message 5 of 7
dan_inv09
in reply to: dan_inv09

Well, if you are already working in an assembly, you don't have the factory in the assembly, so it won't just convert to a regular part easily, will it?

If you make it a regular part, stick it in a different 'dummy' assembly then make it an iPart you should have the whole factory to play with. (Or just do your business in the dummy assembly and don't re-make it an iPart until afterwards.)

Message 6 of 7
karthur1
in reply to: dan_inv09

I thought about doing that.  Problem is the ipart is "working" ipart and the children are already in several assemblies.  I am afraid if I make it normal part, add the body, then make it an ipart again, the constraints will fail since the children will have to be rebuilt.

The solid that I am adding on has nothing to do with where the constraints are, but the rebuild will make the constraints fail.

Kirk

Message 7 of 7
dan_inv09

But then wouldn't changing it by adding the new solid cause the children to be rebuilt anyway?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report