Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

copy sketches from parts to new parts

29 REPLIES 29
Message 1 of 30
pault587
928 Views, 29 Replies

copy sketches from parts to new parts

I am trying unsuccesfully to copy a sketch from one part to another. Does anyone know how to successfully do this?
29 REPLIES 29
Message 21 of 30
Inv_kaos
in reply to: pault587

Kody,

A standard CAD user must know the principles behind styles, templates and libraries in order to use them properly and efficiently. It's 'dangerous' for people to use something they know nothing about.
You may think your not accessing the same files but does Inventor? Regardless of how many precautions you take data may still be lost, overridden or modified without your knowledge when running two instances of Inventor. If you continue to still use this practice all I can say is good luck.

Regards,
Stewart
Please mark as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question or "Kudos" if you found it useful.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stew, AICP
Inventor Professional 2013, Autodesk Simulation Multiphysics 2013
Windows 7 x64 Core i7 32GB Ram FX2000
Message 22 of 30
Kody

Thanks for the good mojo, Stewart.

Maybe you guys have different standard CAD users than us here, but ours are pretty lazy and a little frightened of all the extra knowledge requirements of Inventor over ACAD already. We try to smooth things down for them as much as possible so they transition on their own to Inventor and we don't have to just pull the plug on ACAD and force everyone. Want to switch users? 🙂

Sorry to keep kicking a dead horse, but do you have any official documentation or websites that prove you can lose data? This all just seems like FUD or hearsay because nobody is actually doing this. Any evidence or sample work-through shown somewhere online that documents this specifically?

Cheers,
-Kody
Message 23 of 30
Anonymous

You have obvously never created complicated assemblies with two different
project file open, or else the content of yeach project is close enough that
you could be using a single project.

Nuff said.... your attitude blocks learning and you will eventually pay the
price.

--
Dennis Jeffrey, Autodesk Inventor Certified Expert
Autodesk Manufacturing Implementation Certified Expert.
260-399-6615
Instructor/Author/Sr. App Engr.
AIP 11SP3, AIP 2008 SP2, PcCillin AV
HP zv5000 AMD64 ( modified)
Geforce Go 440, Driver: .8185, 2GB RAM
XP Pro SP2, Windows XP Silver Theme
http://teknigroup.com
Message 24 of 30
Teun Ham

"We can't use a single vault project because all the part numbers must remain the same."

I am just guessing here, but do you need to have the same Part Number because you are using stock material? (standard pipes, beam, etc?)

If so, you might want to look into using the Stock Number instead of the Part Number (and use Value Substitution in your Partslist)...

Just guessing here, so I might be wrong!
Message 25 of 30
Kody

Hi Teun,

No, we already are re-using stock data. We use the same part numbers of "similar yet contract-specific" parts because when we upload, they match up to manufacturing instructions we have in our ERP system.

Cheers,
-Kody
Message 26 of 30
Kody

Dennis, you're the one with the bad attitude and closed mind here. Grow up. I'm TRYING to learn the actual reasons behind what you guys are saying.

I don't know what you call a complicated assembly, but I find our spreadsheet and skeleton-driven, multi-level assemblies containing more than 10000 parts (standard library and customized parts) more than complicated enough. When you have two contracts that are nearly the same (with required parts, and therefore part numbers), yet very different with their shapes, it can be very convenient to compare between two contracts, when viewing via DWF is not powerful enough.

Cheer up, it's a discussion, not an argument!
-KB
Message 27 of 30
Teun Ham

"No, we already are re-using stock data"

Just to be clear, do you use the Stock Number in your parts?
Message 28 of 30
Kody

No. We use an iProperty that we've defined for all of our parts/assemblies. Should be functionally similar to Stock Number though.
Message 29 of 30
Teun Ham

Ok. Do you apply a "Value Substition" in your Partslist?
Message 30 of 30
Kody

No. But we have a customized partslist, using our custom iProperties.

Back from R5 I believe, we made the decision to put all our BOM and revision handling functionality into macros and iProperties for two reasons:
1) to ensure future compatibility in case AD changes the way their BOMs or Revision blocks work, and
2) to match up with what we were doing in ACAD for years, so it was pretty seamless to release BOMs and drawings to our paperless system.

I've never looked into the "Value Substitution" before. Just read a quick tutorial by Sean Dotson on it though. Seems interesting, but don't see where you're heading here?

Cheers Teun,
-Kody

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report