Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

copy sketch from one sheet to another sheet into ISO.idw

14 REPLIES 14
SOLVED
Message 1 of 15
nicu_bogd
9660 Views, 14 Replies

copy sketch from one sheet to another sheet into ISO.idw

Hello. As the title says I want to copy one sketch from one sheet into another sheet or into the same sheet. That drawing is complex and i don't want to make it each time. How can i do this? Thanks.

Tags (3)
14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
mcgyvr
in reply to: nicu_bogd

edit sketch.. window select all entities, right click "copy"

go to new sheet.. create new sketch.. right click "paste"

If you do this over and over for the same sketch you might want to look into "sketch symbols"

http://help.autodesk.com/view/INVLT/2014/ENU/?guid=GUID-EF6BFD15-804A-4A9B-A002-C75B61ED6E75

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 3 of 15
nicu_bogd

the first solution doesn't works becouse in the sketch i select all lines and all dimensions and when i right click the "copy" option doesn't exist. if i select only lines without dimensions the "copy" options exists, but i can't select all lines without selecting the dimensions too.

the second solution is not what i want becouse it doesn't allow me to edit that symbol.

What i exactly want to do is to copy a sketch with all its items (lines and dimensions) and to paste it into same sheet or another sheet, and then edit this copied sketch to modify some lines or some dimensions.

Message 4 of 15
nicu_bogd

I see the "copy" solution works now

earlier it didn't work

Something is weird. When i select a few lines and dimensions into the sketch then i right click, the "copy" option appears. But if i select all lines and dimensions and then i right click the "copy" option doesn't exists.

Message 5 of 15
hdis2015

That is strange. I have the same experience as soon as there are hatches selected in my sketch.

Message 6 of 15
iTonza
in reply to: hdis2015

This did not work for me, but i find the work arround.

First i have to say that my sketch is assoisaced to the section view.

When i select the lines (and hatches) the copy command does not exist, but if you copy with command in modify tab (modify -> copy), you just check the box "copy to clipboard" and click "Done", then create new sketch and clikc Ctrl+V (shortcut "paste"), or LMB and "paste".

You will successfully copy the lines and geometry without hatches (at least i did)

PS; shortcut for "copy", CTRL+C did not work, I had to use copy command from modify tab!

Message 7 of 15
johnmondro4888
in reply to: mcgyvr

As for the (older) "Accepted Answer" - this does not work in Inventor 2020. Look to the bottom of this thread for the correct answer.

Message 8 of 15
johnmondro4888
in reply to: iTonza

iTonza - Thank you! Finally an answer to this overly convoluted copy / paste procedure!

Autodesk, why? Why do you do this to us?

Message 9 of 15

Hi John,

This is a bug. I believe it was a regression starting in 2020.2. It has been fixed in our internal build targeting 2020.3 update. In the meantime, if the defect blocks your workflow, you may want to uninstall 2020.2 update for now.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 10 of 15
schaefer.don
in reply to: johnsonshiue

I have build 2020.3 and copy paste still does not work  If I use copy from the modify menu it will work on the same sheet, but not other sheets or into another .idw.

Message 11 of 15
schaefer.don
in reply to: schaefer.don

I have however discovered that if you copy it to the clipboard via the copy function in the modify menu that will work.  Hope that is not confusing.  Thanks for the heads up on the copy in the modify menu, because CTRL-C does still not work.

Message 12 of 15
johnsonshiue
in reply to: schaefer.don

Hi! It should work if you are editing the sketch. If you are not editing the sketch, the workflows might be blocked. But, if you are editing the sketch, Copy&Paste sketch geometry should work across files (ipt, idw/dwg, and iam).

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 13 of 15
Kunal_Bhansali

Thanks for sharing this idea. 

Message 14 of 15

Thanks, 

This is what worked for me.

Message 15 of 15
linkyaw_n

Your answer really helps me well. Thank you so much.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report