Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Copy Project....Umm...Macro's..??

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
Anonymous
160 Views, 3 Replies

Copy Project....Umm...Macro's..??

Hi Guys,

I'm trying to work out a "faster" less potential for error way of copying a project.... What i mean by that is i currently have a standard product made up of approx 150 parts within 4-5 assemblies. This is what i call my master product....When we decide to sell this product and make customer required modifications we copy the project over to a job specific folder. The current procedure i use to do this is file save every part & assembly to the "job specific" folder and then file save as the drawings and link them to the copied project which means i don't have to create new drawings again. this is currently taking about 1 - 1 1/2 hours which isn't to bad as it saves about 3 days in redesign. What i would like to know is there a way of copying the entire project (renaming with a suffix) from eg. 1-1397 (general assembly) to (job specific) 14259-1-1397 (general assembly) which would copy and rename all the parts and assemblies, copy and link all the drawings in either a one off copy or a automated process even if it's a macro...??

We use Inventor 2008 and we have a full ADMS installed and working yet i've not develed into it's capabilities in this area.

Any advice would be appreciated!

CHeers

Joel
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Vault will allow you to do that in one easy step including your suffix.
Design assistant is the way to do it without the vault but you'll have to
rename with the suffix manually.
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous

There are programs out there written by the IV guru's, but they do cost money. We investigated this a while back. I thought the price very fair, but it was not my decision.

I am not sure if they want to make it public or not. I think the topic discussion with the people who have the programs went off line.

Also, as mentioned, Vault will now do this properly. If you don't want to use Vault permanently, you may be able to set up a dummy Vault and just use it to do a copy design.

Pete
Message 4 of 4
Anonymous

If you haven't set up a 'sandbox' vault as Pete said I'd highly recommend
it. Either put one along side your production vault or put one on your local
machine. I use this all the time for experimenting and to rename parts, etc
before putting them in the production vault.

>If you don't want to use Vault permanently, you may be able to set up a
>dummy Vault and just use it to do a copy design.

Pete

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report