Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

copy/pattern welds

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
inventorguy
1071 Views, 11 Replies

copy/pattern welds

ok... so i have a cylender 1.5 inches in diameter and .75 inches tall i need to weld it to a plate (with the cylender standing upright so that the flat circular base is sitting on the plate) it is to be welded in 3 places with a fillet weld equally spaced at 120 degrees apart from center to center of the welds and the welds are each .5 inches long and .19 thick... heres the catch... one edge of the plate is flush or (tangent) with the cylendrical face so u cant weld there obviously... so the orientation of the welds matters... im new to using the weld feature on inventor and my problem is that when i use the fillet weld it seems inventor chooses where it wants to put these three welds... and i thought i could shift them one way or the other by using the "offset" but im not even sure what offset is for? i tried looking it up on help and in my book... and i cant seem to get the "to" "from" to work on this operation either... i can select somthing for the "from" but cant do anything to select a "to"... i have successfully gone to "preparation" and cut a chamfer in the cylender by rotating a triangular sketch 38.21656051 degrees from a plane i created in my desired location 38.21656051 degrees is what i calculated to be a .5 inch arc... i then went to welds and filled the chamfer cut out with weld using groove weld then put a fillet weld over that weld using the fillet weld...perfect!! all done... except that i have to go back and do this 2 more times for the weld 120 degrees from the first... and then go back and do it again for the 3rd weld... ok all done... perfect... except that i have 5 more cylenders to do... thats 15 sketchs... 15 rovolves for the chamfers... 15 groove welds... 15 more fillet welds until its all done... and perfect... plz tell me there is an easier way?
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
Anonymous
in reply to: inventorguy

Split the plate face.

--
Dennis Jeffrey, Autodesk Inventor Certified
Expert
Autodesk Manufacturing Implementation Certified
Expert.
Instructor/Author/Sr. App Engr.
AIP 2008 SP2, AIP 2009-SP1
PcCillin AV
HP zv5000  AMD64 2GB - Geforce Go 440, Driver: .8185
XP
Pro SP3, Windows XP Silver Theme

href="http://teknigroup.com">http://teknigroup.com
Message 3 of 12
inventorguy

i clicked ur link and read the explanation (1st page) there may have been more pages or if i had clicked download but i didnt... but anyways... i knew u would tell me to use split... so i already tried that before i ever posted... however i i went to preparations and the split option was grayed out... so i decided i couldnt use split? correct? so i tried many other routes... also im not real sure if u wanted me to do a full weld all the way around the cylender and then cut it up? however i cant do this because my cylender is right on the edge of the plate instead of in the middle so there is no room for the weld to make it around as previously mentioned...
Message 4 of 12
Anonymous

Split is a PART FEATURE. Edit the plate and add a sketch to
create the Face split.

--
Dennis Jeffrey, Autodesk Inventor Certified
Expert
Autodesk Manufacturing Implementation Certified
Expert.
Instructor/Author/Sr. App Engr.
AIP 2008 SP2, AIP 2009-SP1
PcCillin AV
HP zv5000  AMD64 2GB - Geforce Go 440, Driver: .8185
XP
Pro SP3, Windows XP Silver Theme

href="http://teknigroup.com">http://teknigroup.com
Message 5 of 12
inventorguy

gee that sounds like it probably should have been painfully obvious to me... ill try that out... but its 4:30 and even with 2 cpu's my computer is running a little slow with this one so it might be tomorrow b4 u hear back from me... but i might stay late trying to get this wrapped up
Message 6 of 12
inventorguy

but i guess copying a weld or patterning a weld is out of the question correct?
Message 7 of 12
Anonymous

You guess is correct, return back you your part
enviroment and splitt the face

--
IV2009-Pro Sp1
Dell 670 dual Xeon - 3.2
3gb memory,
SCSI320-15k rpm
XP-Pro, sp3
Quadro FX3400: Driver: 178.26
Direct3D
SpacePilot Rel V: 3.6.10 Dvr V: 6.6.4 Firmware 3.12

style="PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #000000 2px solid; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">
but
i guess copying a weld or patterning a weld is out of the question
correct?
Message 8 of 12
inventorguy

thank you... all done... much faster...
Message 9 of 12
JoyceZhou

Thanks for everyone's feedback for the issue.
Split in part is used to help solve such issues in R2009 or earlier build.
and the wish to add offset control in Fillet weld dialog has been already added in our quality database.

Thanks again
Joyce Zhou(Autodesk QA)

Joyce-Jinghua Zhou

Inventor QA Engineer
Message 10 of 12
timet028

I have a cylinder assembly that I am placing 36 brackets in a circular pattern on to weld the next cyldiner assembly with.  I can do a circular pattern of this bracket to get all 36 on, can I do the same with the weld so that I don't  need to do it 36 times on each bracket twice.

I come from Solidworks and Pro-E world and am new to Inventer Pro 2013.  Would appreciate any help on this one.

Thanks,

Steven

Message 11 of 12
Prav!n
in reply to: timet028

i do have the same question as above;

i need to create a similar weld feature for 149 parts in a container.

Why cant we able to determine the pattern or copying feature for welds?

It was much user-friendly in solidworks where i used to work most of the times.

Thanks

Praveen

Message 12 of 12
Prav!n

Could someone help me figure out the option to pattern a weld feature.

As of now am giving weld individually (for 120+ pipes in a series) which takes me much time.

Screenshot attached.

Thanks

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report