Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Copy/Paste view onto different Inventor drawing

14 REPLIES 14
Message 1 of 15
FeuerBjorn
7006 Views, 14 Replies

Copy/Paste view onto different Inventor drawing

Hi,

I have a question that I haven't yet been able to find an answer to.

All I want to do is copy a view from an inventor 2D drawing, onto a different inventor drawing.  The company that I am at is not using "sheet sets," and I'm trying to move views from one drawing file onto a different drawing file.  I would like to be able to copy and paste it, if that is possible. The reason is that this sheet is too busy, but the view I want to move is still relevent, has been modified, and is fully dimensioned, and I'd hate to lose time and have to start over again just to move it onto another drawing.

I know I could export to Autocad in the end and get it done, breaking the tie to the model, but I shouldn't have to work around Inventor....esp in case this assembly changes later and this software is meant to help me automatically adapt to changes...

Mandee

**Further info:  The view itself is a section taken from the General Arrangement view, which is on yet another drawing file (I didn't set it up this way...)

14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
yannick3
in reply to: FeuerBjorn

Hi

with 2014,  RMB on selected view, select copy, open another drawing RMB select paste very simple .

For your need select the parent view with the section view

Yannick Verreault
INV PRO 2015
MS Office 2007
Win 7 pro, core i7 950, asus P6T WS
nvidia Gforce GTX 295
WD caviar black 500Go
WD caviar black 1To

Message 3 of 15
FeuerBjorn
in reply to: yannick3

If it were that simple, I wouldn't have posted here, because that's the first thing I obviously tried, and it doesn't work like you imply.  There's no copy option, and ctr+c doesn't do it either. 

And indeeed, I am running 2014.

Message 4 of 15
Cadmanto

You can also select the view, hit ctrl "C" then in your other drawing hit ctrl "V".

I know this works, because I have done it and just tried it again before posting and it worked.

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

New EE Logo.PNG

Inventor.PNG     vault.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 5 of 15
FeuerBjorn
in reply to: Cadmanto

No, I can't; see above.  That was the first thing I tried (trust me, I've been using computers for oh, 22 of my 26 years now? Copy paste is not new to me.) It's just not working in my case. 

Message 6 of 15
Cadmanto

What kind of view is it?  Projected, section, detail??

I did mine on a projection view and it worked.

Also understand we are not questioning your experience.  It is very difficult on this end to know where a user is coming from when they post a question.

We have to start somewhere to get to the root of the issue.

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

New EE Logo.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

Message 7 of 15
FeuerBjorn

Well fine, I know you can't read minds, I'm just asking you to start by not assuming that I'm a complete moron. 

At any rate, as I believe I already stated, the view is taken from a section, which is on a different drawing (the general arrangement.)  Maybe that's part of the problem.  I'm not entirely sure how this drawing got created, because I didn't initially create it.

I know that if I put the view from which the section was taken back onto this drawing, then I can get the section back by re-doing it and then scaling the general view that I don't want down to something entirely too small to see with the naked eye -- but I don't think that's the best way to do it (I hope) and I especially don't want to always have to redo everything everytime  a drawing has to be altered.  You understand I'm sure, in the drafting/engineering field, things change ALL the time.

Message 8 of 15
Cadmanto

I was going to ask that next in regards to whether you created this drawing or not.

Humor me!!!  Create a brand new model and drawing tandom, place some views and see if you can copy the views there onto another brand new drawing.

The other thing I was going to ask is instead of creating a brand new drawing file, is it an option to create a second sheet on thei one drawing file and move these views to the second sheet?  That can be done by selecting in the browser and dragging them.

New EE Logo.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

Message 9 of 15
swalton

Drawing views hava a parent-child relationship, just like ipt features.

You have to grab both the parent view and the child (section, projection, detail, etc) view to copy between one idw and another.  The parent view does not have to be inside the sheet boundry, so you can set it off to the side where it won't print.

If you just want to add a new sheet to the idw, you can put the parent on one sheet and the child on a second sheet by draging the child view in the drawing browser. 

Steve Walton
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Inventor 2023
Vault Professional 2023
Message 10 of 15
chad38

FeuerBjorn said

"You understand I'm sure, in the drafting/engineering field, things change ALL the time."

No they don't, they are always the exact same and will always stay that way, no designs ever change, EVAR! Also, animals never had a war, whose the REAL animal? Plus I rounded pi to 3.17 and proved it.

HP Z420 Workstation
Intel Xeon CPU E5-1603 0 @ 2.80 GHz 2.80 GHz
12.0 GB RAM
Windows 7 Professional 64 Bit
3D Connexion Space Pilot
Solid Edge ST9 MP1

Inventor Professional 2015
Autocad 2015
SolidWorks 2015
Message 11 of 15
FeuerBjorn
in reply to: swalton

Swalton,

As far as I knew and still know, you are exactly correct about parent views, and that's why the way we've been doing things is to move in views from other sheets and scale them down to essentially invisible (because here, if we just pull them off of the dwg boundary, it screws with our batch plotting.)

Anyway, I figured a solution to this afterall, going to share it for others: Go to the "big I" menu, select "save copy as.  Copy the dwg as a new drawing number, delete the views that weren't wanted.  This isn't exactly the question I posed, as I asked initially to *move* the view to another drawing, but as that was getting to cumbersome, I realized creating a new sheet this way just as effective.

Lol @ Chad38.  Don't you just love it? 😄

Mandee

Message 12 of 15
Cadmanto

Yes, I agree in what you said about the parent view.  It was a parent view I was able to copy and paste.

I know I misspoke before when I said it was a projected view.  I meant to say parent view.  Sorry!!!

Anyway, instead of going through the whole copy save as routine you can just create a brand new drawing and place views using the same model instead.

New EE Logo.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

Message 13 of 15
FeuerBjorn

Yea....you can do what you're saying......but unless I'm misunderstanding you and/or you "mis-spoke" again, that would mean that you have to re-detail everything in the view, which is what I didn't want to do in the first place.

But if you save the copy to a new file name, you can save the detailed view -- still adaptable to the model -- and simply delete what you don't want.

It's ALOT less cumbersome to do that, taking literally a few seconds to hit "save copy" and simply change the drawing number in the title block, than to create an ENTIRE new drawing and re-detail.

Mandee

Message 14 of 15
dlmsdm1

Cadmanto, you can copy a "Child" view and paste just like Chad38 said. You can copy as many views you, except for section and detail. Parent does NOT have to go. All dims will follow. Just wanted to let you know you aren't crazy 🙂 Thanks for your reply's, I learn alot from you.

Message 15 of 15
b9ika

Hello, Maybe this video can help you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25Jh8d7FiMc

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report