Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

copy/paste problems

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
pearson2003
2678 Views, 9 Replies

copy/paste problems

After upgrading from Inventor 2012 to 2015 I am unable to copy geometry from AutoCAD 2015 and paste into a sketch in Inventor 2015.

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
CCarreiras
in reply to: pearson2003

Hi!

How you import Uatocad data? Have you used the proper tool?

Open a Inventor sketch and import Autocad with insert ACAD.

Clipboard13.png

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so, use the  Mark Solutions!  Accept as Solution or Give Kudos!Kudos - Thank you!

Regards.
CCarreiras
Message 3 of 10
pearson2003
in reply to: CCarreiras

Hi

Before upgrading, I would open the needed AutoCAD drawing and select the needed geometry. All I would do is clipboard copy, then in Inventor I would just paste and the geometry would be there. When I paste into Inventor, Inventor acts like it is doing something but no geometry appears. My co-worker upgraded at the same time as me, and he is able to do that still, but I can't at my computer. I will try what you suggested and post if that solves my problem. Thanks.

Message 4 of 10
CCarreiras

Hi!

Are you shure that the irt doesn't anything??

Have you tried to double click the mouse wheel to see all the geometry in the sketch? Lots of times the geometry is far away the center point and therefore we think that isn't there, but if you double click the mouse wheel (or zoom all) we see the pasted geometry in one corner of the monitor.

Also a great advantage to using the insert ACAD is that you can also can make a selection of the geometry you want to insert in inventor by a drag selection or by layer, but the great advantage is that inventor can also fix some gaps (close open loops comming from autocad) and can also insert automatic constraints (this last option, the constrains, deactivate if the geometry is too complicated... it's time consuming, but thr close gaps, use it always).

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so, use the  Mark Solutions!  Accept as Solution or Give Kudos!Kudos - Thank you!

Regards.
CCarreiras
Message 5 of 10
pearson2003

I have double clicked on the mouse wheel and nothing still. I just tried to use "insert ACAD" but still dont get anything either. 

Message 6 of 10
CCarreiras

Hi!

Try this:

Open a new drawing, put tere something and save it as Autocad drawing (not Inventor) or as dxf .

You are able to do that?

Are you working in a administrator previledge account?

Regards.
CCarreiras
Message 7 of 10
pearson2003

That is actually another problem I am having, I am not able to save copy as an AutoCAD drawing or a DXF. And I don't have administrator previledge. Could all these problems be due to my system being just short of the requiremens? I have 64-bit, i7 CPU  920 @ 2.67GHz, 12 GB RAM.

Message 8 of 10
johnsonshiue

Hi! It seems that DWG TrueView was not properly installed or registered. Could you take a look at the solution in the following thread?

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-general-discussion/inventor-2014-fails-to-export-to-dwg-on-wi...

Does it help?

Thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 9 of 10
pearson2003
in reply to: johnsonshiue

That worked, thank you! I still can't clipboard copy from AutoCAD into Inventor, but insert ACAD worked now so I will just use that from now on. I can also save copy as AutoCAD DWG and DXF. Again, Thank you very much!

Message 10 of 10
CCarreiras

HI!

That's what I was thinking... 🙂

Try to do that (copy paste) with administrator previleges... if it works one time... it will work later in any account. (it needs to write something in registry one time, so you must be in admistrator). 

Regards.
CCarreiras

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report