Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Copy Assembly

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
dwyingling
779 Views, 5 Replies

Copy Assembly

Is there a way to copy an assembly , but have it so that when you make changes to the parent assembly it goes down through the copies and also be able to make changes to the copies and not have them go up?

I tried an iAssembly but when you make a change to the copy it goes up to the original.

I tried "Copy" but new changes don't go down through.

I tried to Derive the assembly but the BOM is messed up and you can't edit parts in the assembly.

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
mcgyvr
in reply to: dwyingling

There might be some other tricks but I think you need to "pack and go" the whole assembly and put it into another directory.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 3 of 6
dwyingling
in reply to: mcgyvr

This is just a general assembly question, its not based off my particular model.  You can test it with any multi part assembly.

Message 4 of 6
mgeurts

And what about Design Assistent?

Inventor Professional 2021
3DS Max 2022
Win 10
Message 5 of 6
heterarch

In the same vein as this, why, if you make copies of an assembly, does it not report correctly on an assembly schedule? 

I work at a stone fabrication plant, and we need to be able to create fabrication tickets for each unique piece of stone in a project.  I've created a series of parametric families for typical stone piece conditions, and use custom families for everything else.  The pieces are laid out accurately in the 3d model, including precise joints, etc.  There may be 100's of pieces of stone that each need their own fabrication ticket with 4-5 views.  Assemblies seem like the logical tool to use here, as they will generate clean views of each piece for use on the ticket (a custom made sheet at 8.5x5.5).  However, Revit doesn't like having copies of assemblies, which would be necessary in this case, as most stone pieces are duplicate types.  Creating views of each piece (centered and sized to the piece, with all other model info hidden) without assemblies is incredibly time consuming, as you can imagine. 

Suggestions?  Am I missing something?

thanks,

db

Message 6 of 6

wrote:
... Suggestions?  Am I missing something?

Hi heterarch,

It looks like you've accidentally posted in the Inventor forum, you might try asking this question the Revit forum:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Autodesk-Revit-Architecture/bd-p/133

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report