Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Copper Bar. Flat Pattern Help!

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
SRayC
490 Views, 10 Replies

Copper Bar. Flat Pattern Help!

I have some copper bar shapes that are used within a VBA routine that I change the lengths (works great) to get different pieces. My problem is when they are unfolded I loose my radius edges. Therefore the unfolded piece is narrower than the actual raw stock. The copper bar shape is created with a sketch sweep along a path. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I may can get around this???
See file attached.

Ray C.
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
bill.costello
in reply to: SRayC

Ray

I have tried to unfold this in 7 and 8, I get the same results as you, however I have also tried to unfold in AutoPOL and again the same results. IV needs continuous surfaces in order to unfold, what you are getting is the unfolding of that continuous "surface", the round edges create a surface whaich has curves in two directions and will technically deform at the bends. AutoPOL also needs continuous surfaces but will unfold without bends on either outer or inner surface of the model. Imagine trying to unfold part of a sphere, the edges at the bends of your model are similar. Sorry I can't be of further help but I am afraid the type of model you have created cannot be unfolded with radiused edges.

regards

BIll
Message 3 of 11
SRayC

Thanks for the reply Bill,
I'm not too concerned on the visual side of the flat pattern, but I am exporting the flat out to a dxf file for an automated shear, punch and bend process. The dxf file is incorrect due to the problem in the flat. Thanks again for your efforts.
Ray C.
Message 4 of 11
Anonymous

Inventor's flat pattern analyzer assumes that sheet metal has perpendicular edges. If there are chamfers or rounds, the analyzer won't include them in the flat pattern. Loren Jahraus Autodesk Inventor Workflow Team "srayc" wrote in message news:31127188.1080847522860.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... > I have some copper bar shapes that are used within a VBA routine that I change the lengths (works great) to get different pieces. My problem is when they are unfolded I loose my radius edges. Therefore the unfolded piece is narrower than the actual raw stock. The copper bar shape is created with a sketch sweep along a path. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I may can get around this??? > See file attached. > > Ray C.
Message 5 of 11
SRayC

Loren, That's not what I wanted to here. We use tons of extruded copper bar with radius edges and being able to show the radius and unfold the bent part was going to have a large productivity enhancement for us. Is there any possibility in the near future that the "assumption" that all sheet metal comes with perpendicular edges be re-analyzed?
Thanks for your reply

Ray C.
Message 6 of 11
Anonymous

Due to accounting rules, I am not allowed to comment on when or if we would implement changes. In this case, I think I can say that it won't happen in the near future. One workaround for your situation would be to create a sheetmetal part with square edges so you can get a flat pattern, and then create a derived part and add the rounds there. The drawback is that you would have two files. Loren Jahraus Autodesk Inventor Workflow Team
Message 7 of 11
Anonymous

Ray,
Try this modified version of your file and see if it will give you correct results.

Keith
Message 8 of 11
Anonymous

Keith This still just measures 2.75 for the width instead of 3 The flat pattern removes the fillets. If you suppress the fillets then it will measure 3 -- Kent Autodesk Discussion Group Facilitator "Aciman" wrote in message news:19562506.1081185352153.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... > Ray, > Try this modified version of your file and see if it will give you correct results. > > Keith
Message 9 of 11
Anonymous

Opps nevermind.
Message 10 of 11
Anonymous

Yes, I caught my misunderstanding.
Thanks
Message 11 of 11
SRayC

Thanks ALL for the input. We have resigned ourselves to use the square edges, for now. It is more important to get the correct width from the flat pattern than to be annoyed by the interference warning we get in the assembly when the part is placed in its clamp.

Thanks
Ray C.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report