Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

conveyor belt animation

15 REPLIES 15
Message 1 of 16
moh2010
3903 Views, 15 Replies

conveyor belt animation

Hi,
Can anyone guide me, how can I animate conveyor belt so that the bucket on the belt also moves.

Using Autodesk Inventor Professional 2008,

Thanks
15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16
JDMather
in reply to: moh2010

First thing I noticed is that your Sketch1 is not constrained in your parts.
The "belt" is a single part.

Have you gone through the AOTC Dynamic Simulation book?

You might go through this document before you put too much time in this assembly.

http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/AU2006/MA13-3%20Mather.pdf

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 3 of 16
lis_wang

I cannot open http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/AU2006/MA13-3%20Mather.pdf. Could you please email me at wang_jianwu@ite.edu.sg.

I try to create timing belt animation.

Thanks

Message 4 of 16
JDMather
in reply to: lis_wang

That link has nothing to do with animation of  a conveyor belt - it covers the basics needed BEFORE moving on to complex topics like Dynamic Simulation for animating a conveyor belt.

It is actually tricky to get to work and takes an advanced knowledge of the program.

Search Amazon for book by Wasim Younis - it shows how to get motion with a conveyor in Dynamic Simulation (you must have Inventor Professional or Inventor Analysis with Dynamic Simulation Environment).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EESignature

Message 5 of 16
lis_wang

Do you have the instuction for that?

Thanks

Message 6 of 16
JDMather
in reply to: lis_wang

@lis_wang wrote:

Do you have the instuction for that?

Thanks

I don't understand the question.
I can't post copyrighted intellectual property.

I recommend purchasing the Wasim Younis book (this is the only source I have seen).

There is another technique (never tried it) discussed here with a roller chain http://www.cadtutor.com and I video on that site posted by Charles Bliss animating a tank catapiller track (similar types of problems).

EESignature

Message 7 of 16
lis_wang
in reply to: JDMather

Thanks

Message 8 of 16
j_berry

@Anonymous wrote:

Search Amazon for book by Wasim Younis - it shows how to get motion with a conveyor in Dynamic Simulation (you must have Inventor Professional or Inventor Analysis with Dynamic Simulation Environment).

Resurrecting this dead thread to ask a question - I have the 2011 version of this book (Up and Running with Autodesk Inventor Simulation 2011) and it makes no mention of conveyor belts. I see Younis has broken down his annual publication into two parts - Up and Running with Autodesk Inventor Professional 2013: Part 1 Stress and Frame Analysis and Part 2 Dynamic Simulation.

I'm assuming that the conveyor motion is in Part 2 Dynamic Simulation, though the table of contents for both books on Amazon give no indication of a conveyor simulation or a similar design problem (actually, most of the design problems are identical to those in my 2011 book. Not complaining, just saying).

If you have the book handy, can you please confirm which book contains the conveyor simulation?

AutoCAD Electrical 2013 SP2
Windows 7 Pro SP1
Message 9 of 16
JDMather
in reply to: j_berry

@j_berry wrote:

I'm assuming that the conveyor motion is in Part 2 Dynamic Simulation, though the table of contents for both books on Amazon give no indication of a conveyor simulation or a similar design problem (actually, most of the design problems are identical to those in my 2011 book. Not complaining, just saying).

If you have the book handy, can you please confirm which book contains the conveyor simulation?

The same problem is in the 2011 book, and yes it is the Part 2 book of later editions.
The problem is not called "animation of a conveyor belt".  (High Speed Bottle Transfer Unit)

The problem is a general solution that will work with any motion of this type.

By the time you complete all of the exercises you should have a basic understanding of DS that would allow you to set up any motion needed even if the exact problem wasn't covered in the book. 
My general process is

1. attack the problem with what I know
2. review the Help and research other sources of information

3. when stuck - contact Wasim and attach what has been completed here so that others can take a look at the problem and recommend solutions.

In my class we were just doing a complicated problem (not in the book) that kept giving errors of overconstrained condition.  Someone here gave the solution several years ago that worked, but I didn't really understand the solution even thouugh it worked until we went through this problem again this year (3rd or 4th year we have done the problem).  Suddenly all sorts of other clever joint solutions have become obvious to me that would solve other problems that we have had over the years since DS functionality was added.

EESignature

Message 10 of 16
j_berry

@Anonymous wrote:

@j_berry wrote:

The same problem is in the 2011 book, and yes it is the Part 2 book of later editions.
The problem is not called "animation of a conveyor belt".  (High Speed Bottle Transfer Unit)

The problem is a general solution that will work with any motion of this type.

How is it possible that the supplied tutorial files from Wasim Younis' website allow me to select a sketch line for a "Sliding: Point Curve" joint, but if I create my own assembly with some parts and sketches, my sketch lines are not selectable for this type of joint?

Windows 7 Pro SP1
Message 11 of 16
JDMather

Attach your assembly here.

EESignature

Message 12 of 16
j_berry

I was mistaken, I am having trouble with the Revolution joint showing up at all.

I attempted to set up something similar to the "Simulate a Sprocket Chain" in the Design of High-Speed Bottle Transfer Unit design problem, Younis 2011. The relevant files can be found at his website, http://vrblog.info/ all the way at the bottom under 2011 Exercises, Chapter 8.

I'm looking at the assembly "Simulating Sprocket Chain2.iam" and how Wasim inserts a guide cylinder (named "roller.ipt" in the assembly) and then applies a Revolution joint.

In my attached assembly I started something similar by adding a guide roller to the top of the cube. However, when I go to DS, a Revolution joint is not available from the drop down menu from the joint dialog box. Are joint types displayed dependent on what joints can be applied to the current geometry in the assembly? If so, what else do I need to add/remove/change in my assembly make a Revolution joint show up? If not, then why is Revolution joint showing up for Younis's assemblies but not showing up for my assembly?

EDIT: Just realized I had "Automatically convert constraints to joints" checked. I unchecked it and Revolution joint showed up, currently working on it...

Windows 7 Pro SP1
Message 13 of 16
j_berry

(Less confusing to double post than edit my last post.) Updated assembly and parts attached.

I messed around with the assembly some more. I was able to at least apply the Revolution joint and the Rolling: Cylinder Curve joints and also applied the desired velocity to the Revolution joint. The box randomly dances around the curve. I'm guessing this is because points on the box are not constrained to the loop, only the roller.

When I try to add a Sliding Point Curve joint to one of the corners of the box, the box will immediately move to a differrent part of the loop (still static, did not hit "play" on Simulation Player). When I do play the simulation, the box stays constrained to the loop (good), moves at the correct velocity (good), but displays the following error when it reaches a corner of the loop (not good):

DSerror.png

I have tried this with pointed edges (no fillet) and a variety of fillet radii ranging from 0.5in to 20in. Since I added the fillets, the error message goes away but now the box gets hung up at the corners and flickers back and forth, as if something is preventing it from moving.

Not sure how I can constrain this differently. I think the Sprocket chain example works because the round edges, or rather the centers of those arcs, are constrained to the sketch loop in "Simulating Sprocket Chain2.iam". My box does not have round edges or arc center points that can be constained to the loop.

Windows 7 Pro SP1
Message 14 of 16
JDMather

You seemed to get files mixed up in the folders attached, but what happens if you increase the number of calculations (say 10,000 instead of 1,000)?

EESignature

Message 15 of 16
j_berry

@Anonymous wrote:

You seemed to get files mixed up in the folders attached

Whoops, attached the wrong CUBE part file and somehow added another zip folder in there. Attached is the correct folder.

@Anonymous wrote:

... but what happens if you increase the number of calculations (say 10,000 instead of 1,000)?

Perfect. This works. I never thought I would be so happy to see a box go around a circle. Thank you very much.

I notice that if I remove a line from the loop, the animation not longer occurs. Just out of curiosity, is it possible to have an object move from point to point (and subsequently stop moving) on a sketched line? Or does it have to be a closed loop?

Windows 7 Pro SP1
Message 16 of 16
JDMather

I think loop means closed loop, but what if you just made two parallel lines with really really small arcs connecting them?

BTW - I think you can also select part faces to define loops, I don't think you have to have a sketch.

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report