Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Converting step files for Mechanical desktop using inventor

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
kyleo_multistack
1149 Views, 5 Replies

Converting step files for Mechanical desktop using inventor

I have a problem with some step files I recieved from a vendor for an assembly.  Basically what is happening is I download the step file. Then bring it into Mechanical Desktop.  When brought into Mechanical desktop, it is downloaded in metric where my entire assembly is in standard/english format.  What I did when I had Inventor 2011 is bring the step file into inventor, go to document settings and switch the unit to inch from mm.  Then save the step file and when I brought it into Mechanical desktop it was in the correct unit and scale.

Now with 2012 Inventor, when I bring the step file in, it is automatically in english/standard format.  So I save the step file out and try to open it in Mechanical desktop only to have the file back into mm and 25.4x the actual size it should be.

Does anyone have an idea or know how to save the step file out like in 2011 to make sure the unit is saved in the correct format.  This is extremely aggrevating and waste of time.  I would have had the part reverse engineered by now if i quit trying to use the vendors standard step files.

This problem doesn't only happen with a certain vendor's drawings either, it goes for all step files I have recieved since getting Inventor2012.

Please help.

Thanks,

Kyle

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Sorry I don't have an answer, but your question seems to indicate you are still working in MDT, which is about to be shelved permanently...why?

I'd start doing everything in Inventor and forget MDT like yesterday.

Message 3 of 6

I wish I could stop using MDT but I am at work and we don't have the servers set up for Inventor yet... We are working on it just everything hasn't fallen into place yet.  Hopefully soon.

My main problem is converting 3d STEP files from my metric vendors into english format for MDT through Inventor2012.

I tried again using Inventor 11 and it worked flawlessly so there has to be a setting or process I don't have check or am not doing correctly.

Message 4 of 6
JDMather
in reply to: kyleo_multistack

Post an example STEP file here.

Indicate the units it is expected to be.

Indicate a known size of a feature.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 5 of 6
kyleo_multistack
in reply to: JDMather

That isn't going to help because I was able to get the file converted in using Inventor11.

My question is getting it converted over in Inventor2012.  I can't really post my parts online for our vendors will want to keep their components classified. 

I think there should be a setting or option when exporting a 3d file out of Inventor2012 that should scale or have an "units" check but I can't find it. 

I think the reason why it works in 11 is when I place component I do so in the english standard(in).iam template so when placing the component in it automatically dumps the part in as the actual size and converts the units to inches.

In 2012 I think it holds the actual size but needs to know what units it should export as instead of keeping as the standard(in).iam if that makes sense.

Message 6 of 6

ttt

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report