Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Converting model info from Inventor 2014 to Bentley MicroStation V8

12 REPLIES 12
Message 1 of 13
chongo59
3226 Views, 12 Replies

Converting model info from Inventor 2014 to Bentley MicroStation V8

My firm has been awarded a project and the client has just added a stipulation after the contract has been awarded.  My firm current uses Inventor 2014 and SolidWorks and we do only mechanical (machine design) work, ie. Hydroelectric turbine rehabilitation.  Is it possible to convert the models and drawings cleanly or will we have to buy a set of Micro Station and have it as a extra.

Thanks for the help in advance,

Randy Chard

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
mrattray
in reply to: chongo59

What's the stipulation?
Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 3 of 13
chongo59
in reply to: mrattray

That the design product (drawings,models and assemblies) be delivered in V8.  I did not even know that Bentley had a machine design platform.

Message 4 of 13
mrattray

There's no way to convert one CAD format to another native CAD format while maintaining intelligent data (i.e. editable features). You can, however, convert to a "dumb solid" in a number of formats (MicroStation isn't one of them). Having a seat of MicroStation wont help with conversion if they want intelligent models. In this case you would have to actually draw in MicroStation.
If they're OK with "dumb solids", with no editable modeling history and just want it in whatever MicroStation's native format is then you can probably find a free converter online somewhere (or use a seat of MicroStation).
Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 5 of 13
chongo59

Mike:

Thank you for your help and advice.  I am waiting for a call from a Bentley Application Engineer to discuss or needs.   I believe once we go back for the extra money required to pay of the new seat of Micro Station they might just accept the drawings converted at a cost of $4000 (updated our licence to 2014 Suite).

Randy

Message 6 of 13
yannick3

Hi

First use dwg native Inventor drawing.

For 3d, export the 3d to dwg (IPT and IAM) , open with autocad and export to dgn and for the 2d open directly your inventor drawing with acad and export to DGN

you can use ilogic to automaticly export your 3d to DWg on save

If you want to check your exported file you use Bentley View V8i application

export dgn.JPG

Yannick Verreault
INV PRO 2015
MS Office 2007
Win 7 pro, core i7 950, asus P6T WS
nvidia Gforce GTX 295
WD caviar black 500Go
WD caviar black 1To

Message 7 of 13
mrattray
in reply to: yannick3

If they're asking for MicroStation format explicitly, they likely expect to receive "intelligent" models. Your solution will produce "dumb solids" with no modeling history.
Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 8 of 13
chongo59

Yannick:

Does your solution require me to have a licence of AutoCad 2oi4 (or the suite)?

The reason I say this is due to the fact the options in your post under export do not exist on mine.

Randy

Message 9 of 13
yannick3

Change your workspace to 3d modelingacad workspace.JPG

Yannick Verreault
INV PRO 2015
MS Office 2007
nvidia Gforce GTX 295
WD caviar black 500Go
WD caviar black 1To

Message 10 of 13
yannick3

If they're asking for MicroStation format explicitly, they likely expect to receive "intelligent" models. Your solution will produce "dumb solids" with no modeling history.

it's the best we can make or he must purchase BMS seat

Yannick Verreault
INV PRO 2015
MS Office 2007
nvidia Gforce GTX 295
WD caviar black 500Go
WD caviar black 1To

Message 11 of 13
chongo59

Yannick:

I am not sure where I would do that.  I have attached a file that I currently have open on my monitor.  I cannot seem to find the options that you have!

Message 12 of 13
yannick3

Sorry but you need autocad to export you dwg to dgn

Yannick Verreault
INV PRO 2015
MS Office 2007
nvidia Gforce GTX 295
WD caviar black 500Go
WD caviar black 1To

Message 13 of 13
chongo59

Yannick:

Thanks.  That is my fall-back if the client only wants the 2D drawings.  It seems that if they want intelligent data then we will need to buy a seat and training and back charge it to the client, along with the reduction of productivity until one of us is up to speed on that new platfrom.

Randy

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums