Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Convert Part to Sheet Metal

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
blair
943 Views, 7 Replies

Convert Part to Sheet Metal

If I start a new Sheet-Metal part all my Style (Material thickness and Grades) are available, if I convert an existing part to Sheet-Metal none of my "Styles" (Material thickness and Grades) are available.

Are other people seeing this or is it just me, I'm on SP1 Udate3.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
salariua
in reply to: blair

Seems to be working fine on my machine. Do you have the sheet metal template name as "Sheet Metal.ipt" or have you changed it? Maybe it cant find the template?

Adrian S.
blog.ads-sol.com 

AIP2012-2020 i7 6700k AMD R9 370
Did you find this reply helpful ?
If so please use the Accepted Solutions or Like button - Thank you!
Message 3 of 8
Cnoj

Do you have your sheet metal styles stored in a different template to the one you started the part with?

Converting doesn't seem to load any new template data so you would need to add sheetmetal styles to your non sheetmetal template for them to be available after converting to sheetmetal.

I just tested this by importing the sheetmetal styles into my non-sheetmetal template and all sheetmetal styles were available after convert. Until I did this I had the same behaviour as you described.

Inventor 2013/Pro SP2
SimCFD 2015 SP2
Win7-64bit
Message 4 of 8
blair
in reply to: Cnoj

Standard Sheet-Metal Template stored in the default location.

I've never copied the S-M styles into my IPT file. I assumed the Convert Program looks at the Styles Manager where the data resides (I thought they moved all the data from the IPT into the Style Manager a couple of releases ago).

Capture2.JPG

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 5 of 8
blair

Odd, I guess I had never brought the Styles in from the S-M Template IPT and they were locally stored.

Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 6 of 8
SBix26

I don't understand the accepted answer.  When I convert a normal part to a SM part, all of the sheet metal styles are available from our Styles Library, no need to copy anything anywhere.  The default style is active and is listed as residing in both the local file and the library.  All other styles are library only.

Before the conversion, there is nothing in the file at all having to do with SM.  Converting to SM simply makes the library styles available (among other things).

Sam B

Inventor Professional 2015 SP1 Update 3
Windows 7 Enterprise 64-bit, SP1
HP EliteBook 8770w; 8 GB RAM; Core™ i7-3720QM 2.60 GHz; Quadro K4000M

Message 7 of 8
blair
in reply to: SBix26

It would appear the "Styles" were only stored locally in the S-M template file. As soon as I updated the Style Library they became available to existing parts for conversion.

Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 8 of 8
SBix26

Ah, that explains it.

Sam B

Inventor Professional 2015 SP1 Update 3
Windows 7 Enterprise 64-bit, SP1
HP EliteBook 8770w; 8 GB RAM; Core™ i7-3720QM 2.60 GHz; Quadro K4000M

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report