Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

convert multibody part in an assembly into associative individual parts

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
rajeshindi
6062 Views, 5 Replies

convert multibody part in an assembly into associative individual parts

Hi,

Currently I am working in an assembly file.  (.iam-INV 2013)

This assembly consists of few sub assemblies and few part (.ipt) files.

Each and every .ipt file is made up of many multi-bodies.

1.  I need to convert these multi-bodies in to a individual part files which is still associative to main assembly and the part file it belongs to.

2.  Is it possible?

3. How to do it?

4.  I tried to demote the part file (which contains multibodies).  It created sub assembly but still it has only one part file and does covert the mulibodies into multiple part file.

I hope, I am able to explain my problem.

Otherwise, happy to load the file.

thanks.

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
SBix26
in reply to: rajeshindi

Open a multi-body part file and use the Make Part or Make Components tools to create individual parts derived from the multi-body part file (or you can do this manually by using the Derived Part tool) and (re)place them into your assembly.  This is the typical workflow for multi-body solids: the MB part is the "Layout" for the individual parts derived from it.

Message 3 of 6
rajeshindi

Hi, I use crating part often with limited requirements. now i have few more requirements like,
1. The multibody part or assembly doesn't update if I modify the crated component.
2. I have created the multibody part with reference to other part or sub assembly in a assembly file. If I replace the multibody part file with derived part won't I loose the relationship.
Thanks
Message 4 of 6
JDMather

1.  I have never seen this - can you attach the files here?

2. I wouldn't do this.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 5 of 6
SBix26

@rajeshindi wrote:
Hi, I use crating part often with limited requirements. now i have few more requirements like,
1. The multibody part or assembly doesn't update if I modify the crated component.
2. I have created the multibody part with reference to other part or sub assembly in a assembly file. If I replace the multibody part file with derived part won't I loose the relationship.
Thanks

1. This is the wrong way around.  The multibody part is where you do the updates-- the derived parts update to match.  So the proper workflow is: change the layout (multibody part), update assembly (all derived parts update also).
2. As JD Mather wrote, this is not a good idea.

Message 6 of 6
rajeshindi
in reply to: SBix26

Hi JDM, Sbixler,

Thanks for your support.

1.  Now I understand the filing structure.  If I understood correctly, Always we have to modify in the top level and it flows to the the bottom part.  (I got the confusion was due to the fact that I had the choice of editing directly in the assembly or open the part in the assembly and edit seperately. So, I asssumed editing part in an assembly or opening a part file and changing is just the same.)

2.  So, i have started an assembly with wrong foot.  It would be much appreciated if you could outline the best practice in creating assembly.  Normally, I get the part model from customer.  I derive that in to a .ipt file.  Then I start creating the whole assembly (approx. 100 to 150 parts) as multi bodies.  Once everythig completed I create component and new assembly file.  Then I go for bolted connection in the assembly file.  I do this way due to boolean function in the .ipt file which is lot easier.  If I try to do the same in .iam file then i need to copy the .ipt part into another part.  convert it into solid and then do the boolean function.  every .ipt part has a relationship with other.  I find it was lot easier to create the mulibody part file and later convert in to assembly file.

Your opinion would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report