Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Convert iproperty value

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
Chris
758 Views, 7 Replies

Convert iproperty value

I'm looking for a way to convert the iproperty value "volume" into length from known values in the part. I have an assembly which consists of 20 different typs of sheets which are rolled out in certain patterns. The width and depth of the sheet are known, and I would like to use the volume to find the length. The assembly is linked to an excel file so the values will change based on certain parameters. I'm using this as a check to make sure there is no error from the spreadsheet.

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
mcgyvr
in reply to: Chris

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JijhDDJvExo

Smiley Very Happy

Don't forget to turn on your speakers..

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 3 of 8
Chris
in reply to: mcgyvr

really?!

Message 4 of 8
mcgyvr

@CHriS wrote:

really?!

What were you expecting?

and now you know that volume = L x W x H..

You didn't even provide a sample part or drawing or image or detailed description of your "rolled" sheet.

Does it have cutouts? Are they rectangles?.. 

Math is math.. There is no magic or easy button..

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Message 5 of 8
Chris

I want to be able to do math in the "parts list" on a drawing file. I know I can show the volume, how can I divide this by the cross sectional area to get length and display it on the "part list". Doing the math by hand is too tedious for the project I'm working on. 

Message 6 of 8
mcgyvr

@CHriS wrote:

I want to be able to do math in the "parts list" on a drawing file. I know I can show the volume, how can I divide this by the cross sectional area to get length and display it on the "part list". Doing the math by hand is too tedious for the project I'm working on. 

Well why didn't you say so Smiley Tongue

See page 6..http://forums.autodesk.com/autodesk/attachments/autodesk/78/421283/1/Custom%20Parameter%20Formatting...

Message 7 of 8
Chris

It looks like that should work. Thanks!

Message 8 of 8
Chris

Actually found a better solution:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Inventor-General/Inventor-2013-iLogic-Volume-or-Mass/td-p/3503976

Autodesk has a weird thing about equations and the volume parameter, and it was best to put this code in.

volume = iProperties.Volume
iProperties.Value("Custom", "LENGTH")=Round(volume/(15*12*.1))/12 & "FT"

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report