Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodeskā€™s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results forĀ 
ShowĀ Ā onlyĀ  | Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 

Convert IDEAS 9m3 to Inventor

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
valleysimpson
203 Views, 6 Replies

Convert IDEAS 9m3 to Inventor

I am having problems getting a customer to send me models from IDEAS 9m3 so I can use them in IV6. He says that he doesn't have the capability of converting to .sat or step files. Is this correct?

Thanks, Tim
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: valleysimpson

What CAN he export to?

MechMan
Message 3 of 7

I don't know for sure. He says that he can export dxf and iges but he was looking at the drawing and not the model when he told me that. I'm not sure if he knows for sure. He said that no one there had ever heard of sat or step.
Message 4 of 7
Anonymous

LOL, not heard of STEP? New to 3D aren't they. Ask him to export it as an IGES file.

MechMan
Message 5 of 7

The IGES file does not open in IV. It says that IV does not support that geometry type yet. Are there different versions of IGES files?

Tim
Message 6 of 7
Anonymous

I'm no IGES expert. I've dealt more with STEP than IGES, but there are options for exporting IGES files. Ask him to play with some of his IGES output settings. Another optoin on your end is to try to import the IGES file into MDT (more robust translator) and then translate the file from MDT to IV.

MechMan
Message 7 of 7
Anonymous

I just came from IDEAS almost a year ago
having used it for 3 years. I know that V6 7 and 8 could I think there was a
setting in the param file so that when you would export that it would show up on
the list.

style="PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #000000 2px solid; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">
I
am having problems getting a customer to send me models from IDEAS 9m3 so I
can use them in IV6. He says that he doesn't have the capability of converting
to .sat or step files. Is this correct?

Thanks, Tim

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report