Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Convert DWF to IPT?

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
mikharp
7694 Views, 8 Replies

Convert DWF to IPT?

Is it possible to convert a DWF to an .ipt (or .iam) file so that I can use the base DWF geometry in an Inventor assembly?

I have a dwf file that a customer sent me that is ~1.5 Mb.  I asked to get it in a usable format and they sent a .stp file that is 23.3 Mb and Invetor just hangs (not responding).  I let it try to load a few times for several hours without any luck.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike

Tags (3)
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

Mike,

As far as I know, there's no way to do what you're asking.

I'd contact the customer again and request another step file. It sounds like the one they sent is corrupt.

Or post it here and see if anyone else can open it for you.

Another option would be to put the step file thru the migrator feature in the Task Manager. Anytime I have a file that starts acting flakey, I run in thru there and let the program rebuild it (mind you, I've never had to do it for a step file though, but it's worth a shot).

New EE Logo.PNG

Inventor.PNG     vault.PNG

Jim
Celtic Design Services, LLC

Inventor/AutoCAD/Vault WorkGroups
Always for hire - celticdesign01ATyahooDOTcom
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Celtic-Design-Services-LLC/184666001666426
==========================================================
Please use the "Accept as Solution" and "Give Kudos" functions as appropriate to further enhance the value of these forums.

Go raibh maith agat (in other words...Thank you!)
Message 3 of 9
JDMather
in reply to: mikharp

Make sure when you are opening the STEP file to click on Options and turn off any error checking / healing and set to save part files as they are opened (rather than opening the entire file first).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 4 of 9
DVDM

You could also try opening/converting the STEP file with the help of Inventor Fusion:

http://labs.autodesk.com/technologies/fusion/

Message 5 of 9
JimSteinmeyer
in reply to: DVDM

What about opening the DXF in autocad and copying it into a new sketch in inventor? That sketch could then be used for the skelaton model to constrain the assembly to. I haven't tried this but I frequently do the copy/paste to get DXF files into inventor.

Jim

Jim

Inventor Premium 2013 SP1.1
Vault 2013- plain vanilla version
HP G71 notebook
celeron cpu w\ 4gb RAM and 64 bit system
Win 7 home premium

Ya, my boss has me running my personal machine at work.
Message 6 of 9

OOps, after posting, I looked again and see DWF not DXF so this may not work. sorry

Jim

Jim

Inventor Premium 2013 SP1.1
Vault 2013- plain vanilla version
HP G71 notebook
celeron cpu w\ 4gb RAM and 64 bit system
Win 7 home premium

Ya, my boss has me running my personal machine at work.
Message 7 of 9
Cadmanto

I agree with Jim O'Flaherty.  Your best bet is to get an iges or step file instead.  The dwf file is nothing more than

a viewer type file.  If you have Vault the dwf file is created to allow users to view files within the vault.

DWF files to Inventor are like e-drawings to Solidworks.

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 8 of 9
ampster401

were you able to open stp files previously?

If not, you may need to setup an environment varible which tells Inventor not to produce a translation report - this is a known issue for many versions now.

Message 9 of 9
mikharp

I appreciate all the advice but still unsuccessful so ended up requesting an IV file be sent to me from the customer.

Not sure if the file was corrupt.  Just to follow up with all the great suggestions:

Seamus:  I haven't tried running the conversion in the past through task manager but tried it on some other files and it works fine on some of my other step files.  Good option.

JDMather:  I tried just about every combination of Options including the ones you mentioned, but will note this for future conversions.

DVDM: I can open in Fusion with a whole list in the feature tree, but there is no solid.  I must admit that I have not played with Fusion before and didn't want to take the time to figure out why there was no solid.

ampster:  This is the first stp file I have had an issue with.  I don't think I will ever know why it wouldn't open, but I am just going to diagnose it as corrupt and move on.

Thanks again for all the advice and comments.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report