Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Convert an assembly to a single object

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
Tref.
778 Views, 3 Replies

Convert an assembly to a single object

Gentlefolk,

Excuse me for asking what I believe is probably a very elementary question.

A customer has requested a "space holder" 3d model of one of our assemblies. I don't want to try and send him the assembly, but merge it into one component that I can then fiddle to find an appropriate file format. Can you tell me the easiest way to do this? I am sure I recall seeing it as an option in Inventor at some time, but in four years this is the first time I have needed to find it!

For reference I am working in Inventor 2010, and the assembly is made up of over 600 components scattered through our file structure.

TIA

Tref.

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
pauldoubet
in reply to: Tref.

You need to make the assembly a 'Derived Component'. You do this by starting a new part file, then cancel the sketch and select the 'Derive Component' from the menu. Also exporting the assembly in a neutral file format is an option, but I would prefer the 'Derived Component' option and then export to a neutral file format.

Good Luck, Paul

Message 3 of 4
JDMather
in reply to: Tref.

You might also search on "shrinkwrap".

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 4 of 4
Tref.
in reply to: JDMather

Thank you, both methods provided a solution.

Regards,

Tref.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report