Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Convert a Weldment.iam to Part.ipt?

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
EABell
326 Views, 6 Replies

Convert a Weldment.iam to Part.ipt?

I have a weldment (.iam) made of about 50 pieces on which I have included machining allowance where needed. I made a weldment drawing (.idw)from the assembly model. Can I now take the Weldment assembly (.iam) and save it as a part (.ipt) on which I can then cut off the machining allowance. I want to do this so I can then use the machined part drawing in the .ipt form to use in the final assembly along with various other components such as shafts, bushings, covers, bolts, etc.
Ed
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: EABell

Ed,
Start a new part and then used the Derived button - pick the assembly you
want and you will now have the entire assembly derived into 1 part. This
part will change as the original assembly changes.

--
Cheers,

--Rob Singlehurst
Message 3 of 7
av8r

You can do the machining in the weldment .iam. The assembly will have both the weldment and the machined version in the same file. When you make the .idw you simply select the weldment or the machining for the view in the dialog box.

Kevin
Message 4 of 7
EABell

Rob & Kevin,
Thanks much. I have already tried the machining method within the .iam and am crashing just abour each time I save the edits.
I did a de-frag to no avail. I have many adaptive parts in the weldment and I think that is what is causing these crashes. I will try the derived .ipt mehtod.
Thanks again for the tips.
Ed
Dell M-50
P-4 1.8 Ghz
1 Gb SDRAM
nVida Quadro4 500 GoGl 64 Mb
XP Pro
IV 6 Sp. 2
Message 5 of 7
Jayman

Try turning all the adaptivity off once all the lengths and positions are satisfactory.
Message 6 of 7
EABell

I have turned off abaptivity on previous models and it certainly helps. For this model I am using the derived .ipt method for machining. It is exactly what I was looking for and it is working well. Again, I want to say THANKS to all in this discussion group who take the time to respond. Your advice is invaluable as well as appreciated.
Ed
Message 7 of 7
Anonymous

No problem Ed, glad I can help. I've had no end of help off of this
newsgroup - even if just lurking and reading the posts.

--
Cheers,

--Rob Singlehurst

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report