Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

convert 2D DXF to 3D inventor model 2012

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
mokqinglin21
5439 Views, 10 Replies

convert 2D DXF to 3D inventor model 2012

hi im wondering if it is possible to convert a 2D dxf to 3D in 2012 inventor? I couldnt do after I downloaded the updates for 2D to 3D conversion. I wonder if such a conversion is only available for 2D DWG files

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
blair
in reply to: mokqinglin21

You should be able to open the DXF file with Autocad that ships with Inventor and save to DWG

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 3 of 11
mokqinglin21
in reply to: blair

hi,

I have no idea why I couldnt convert the 2D to 3D even though I have downloaded the 2D to 3D tool and tried to follow the tutorial online.

Can someone help me to convert this file?  

Message 4 of 11
blair

A lot of the utilites in Inventor are looking for a specific file format, such as "Place Component". It won't run the conversion program, this is only done with the File-Open command.

You need to open this file in Autocad, not Inventor and do the conversion there and do a Save-As to DWG in Autocad. I am at home and need my install media to configure Autocad for a couple of updates before I can open Autocad

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 5 of 11
JDMather

I had no trouble opening directly in Inventor and create the 3D solid parts.

I didn't need AutoCAD.

How much Inventor training have you had? 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 6 of 11
mokqinglin21
in reply to: JDMather

I have never tried converting 2D drawings from outsource companies to 3D autodesk inventor 

I followed the steps in 

http://cadsetterout.com/resources/autocad-inventor-2d-to-3d-conversion/

I just dont understand why I couldnt select the drawing for base and projected view. 

May I know how did you do it?

Thanks

Message 7 of 11
JDMather

@mokqinglin21 wrote:

May I know how did you do it?

Thanks

I have never used any "2D to 3D converter".

Pretty simple geometry to create myself.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 8 of 11
white.p
in reply to: JDMather

Wow, the most unhelpful reply I have seen on here and there are some really unhelpful ones!!!
Message 9 of 11
mcgyvr
in reply to: white.p

@white.p wrote:
Wow, the most unhelpful reply I have seen on here and there are some really unhelpful ones!!!

@white.p  Do you have a file that needs converting? Can you post it here so we can comment?

Often times its better (and easier) to just model the part up from scratch using the drawings dimensions,etc.. The 2d to 3d tools sound impressive at first but often fail or leave you wanting more.

A well built part (all features easily editable,etc...) is better in the long run.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 10 of 11
johnsonshiue
in reply to: white.p

Hi! The truth is that there isn't a magic button to click to convert 2D data to 3D. On Inventor, there are a few workflows facilitating the process. You can import the dxf file to Inventor (convert the AutoCAD blocks to Inventor sketch blocks).

Or, you can save the dxf file as AutoCAD dwg. Link to an Inventor part, aka DWG Underlay workflow. Then project the dwg geometry to a sketch in Inventor.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 11 of 11
blair
in reply to: johnsonshiue

To further "johnsonshiue's" post. The DWG link process allows you to make changes to the DWG file and have the changes reflect in the Inventor part.

cheers,

Blair

Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report