Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Convert 2D (.dwg) to 3D in Inventor Pro 2015

23 REPLIES 23
Message 1 of 24
designtech43
7564 Views, 23 Replies

Convert 2D (.dwg) to 3D in Inventor Pro 2015

Hello,

I want to convert 2D to 3D in Inventor pro 2015. i saw some videos on youtube, there is tool 2d to 3d in model ribbon.

but i dont have that tool in my inventor, not also in add in.

how to get that tool?

Regards,

Nitin

Tags (1)
23 REPLIES 23
Message 2 of 24
ampster401
in reply to: designtech43

There used to be/might still be such an add-on, just not sure if there's one for 2015.  In the video or within the comments of that video should be a link to where you can obtain this add-on from Autodesk Labs.  Go there and see if something has been released for 2015.

Sometimes those Lab add-ons get incorporated into the software so perhaps 2015 has something comparible to the 2d to 3d app?  Still focused on 2014 so I have not had to much time with 2015 yet.

edit, I just tried labs.autodesk.com and found this info;

"Autodesk Labs: 2D to 3D Tool for Inventor"

https://beta.autodesk.com/callout/?callid=AB3EF879579E4B31A1555E24C004F438

hth

Message 3 of 24
mcgyvr
in reply to: ampster401

IMO just create it in Inventor from scratch.. Its good practice. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 4 of 24
designtech43

Thank You,

I installed that tool. But now i am facing different problem. please find both screenshots.

In that tool after clicking Base View a cube should be come for reference. but that cube is not coming. that drawing must be constrained? 

Message 5 of 24
JDMather

Do you have a compelling reason for using AutoCAD as your sketcher rather than Inventor?

I recommend that you learn Inventor first and then, if you still have a compelling reason, return to the question of using AutoCAD data in Inventor.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 6 of 24
scott.sheppard

The technology preview of the 2D to 3D Tool for Inventor supports Inventor 2015.

https://beta.autodesk.com/callout/?callid=AB3EF879579E4B31A1555E24C004F438 

Scott Sheppard
Program Manager
Autodesk Labs
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 7 of 24
designtech43
in reply to: JDMather

actually i want to convert old .dwg (AutoCAD 2D) files in 3D. I am able to convert Inventor .dwg 2D files into 3D. maybe this is because of that drawings are constrained. so i tried to constraint AutoCAD .dwg. but everything is unable to edit.

so please tell me if this possible in Solidworks or any other software.

Message 8 of 24
JDMather

It is possible in any 3D CAD software that I am aware of.

But I still don't understand your reasoning.

It sounds like you are looking for an Easy Button solution that does not require learning the software.

Is that your goal - a one button solution that automagically converts 2D to 3D?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EESignature

Message 9 of 24
JDMather

@designtech43 wrote:

..... I am able to convert Inventor .dwg 2D files into 3D. .....

Actually, I don't even know what this means and I have been using Inventor for several years.

Can you attach example of this process?

EESignature

Message 10 of 24
designtech43
in reply to: JDMather

i know there is no button to convert directly. we have to do it manually.

i seen this videos  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZ0dPhtNwxY 

and  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QlwozfGu66M 

actually for testing i created 2D drawing in inventor. which can be converted in 3D which is in .ipt not in .dwg

I want to convert 2D .dwg file which is made in AutoCAD LT to 3D as the method shown in videos.

please find attached .dwg made in AutoCAD LT 2015 which i want to convert in 3D.

Message 11 of 24
karimaref

dear sir....

kindly, tell me how can i convert 2D to 3D in Autocad 2015

Message 12 of 24
JDMather
in reply to: karimaref

I would use commands like Presspull, Extrude, Revolve, Sweep, Loft, Polysolid....

EESignature

Message 13 of 24
mbs100k

No, it's not that your being lazy or looking for an "easy" button, or not willing to learn the program. In many cases, "It just makes sense".

I too have a load of autocad 2d and stp 3d files to make 3d Inventor, and would be nice to convert to 3d without re-sketching everything. It appears to me, so far, inventor isn't capable of this conversion.   

Heres a couple suggestions may help you.  "Copy- paste".  Or, if the part was downloaded, step or such. Open the 3d part, choose the most complex side, create a sketch surface and use Project Geometry. Than you can again, copy-paste into your new sketch and work it from there. It looks thats the best you can get from Autodesk.

Check out Utube videos can be very helpful also.

I can tell you that Solidworks does great in converting all 3 views in a 2d dwg and will assist to create 3d, with simple and comples shapes.

Message 14 of 24
JDMather
in reply to: mbs100k

@mbs100k wrote:

No, it's not that your being lazy or looking for an "easy" button, or not willing to learn the program. In many cases, "It just makes sense".

1.   I too have a load of autocad 2d and stp 3d files to make 3d Inventor, and would be nice to convert to 3d without re-sketching everything. It appears to me, so far, inventor isn't capable of this conversion.   

2. Heres a couple suggestions may help you.  "Copy- paste".  Or, if the part was downloaded, step or such. Open the 3d part, choose the most complex side, create a sketch surface and use Project Geometry. Than you can again, copy-paste into your new sketch and work it from there. It looks thats the best you can get from Autodesk.

Check out Utube videos can be very helpful also.

3.   I can tell you that Solidworks does great in converting all 3 views in a 2d dwg and will assist to create 3d, with simple and comples shapes.

1. What trouble are you having in converting AutoCAD 2D and STEP 3D files in Inventor.  The process is pretty simple?

2. Why recreate the work?

3. Can you post an SolidWorks example that isn't also just as easy in Inventor?

EESignature

Message 15 of 24
caominh90

help me dowload tool 2d to 3d for inventor 2015

Message 16 of 24
Mark.Lancaster
in reply to: caominh90

@caominh90

This is not possible..  It is only available for the latest version (Inventor 2017).

Mark Lancaster

&  Autodesk Services MarketPlace Provider

Autodesk Inventor Certified Professional & not an Autodesk Employee

Likes is much appreciated if the information I have shared is helpful to you and/or others

Did this resolve your issue? Please accept it "As a Solution" so others may benefit from it.

Message 17 of 24

Technology previews have a start date and an end date so that no one confuses them with perpetual functionality. These dates are published at the start of the technology preview. As such, the code for the technology preview has a time-bomb in it that makes it stop working at the end of the technology preview. So even if we dug up that old installer for Inventor 2015, the code would not run. Sorry.

Scott Sheppard
Program Manager
Autodesk Labs
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 18 of 24
caominh90
in reply to: scott.sheppard

thank you

Message 19 of 24
jarnosv
in reply to: Mark.Lancaster

@Mark.Lancaster you said than "It is only available for the latest version (Inventor 2017)."

and how we can use it?

or if 3d to 2d tool wont be ever available, witch alternative give us autodesk??

regardsmark

Message 20 of 24
johnsonshiue
in reply to: jarnosv

Hi! In more recent Inventor releases, you can use DWG Underlay workflow. Start a new part -> Import -> pick the dwg file -> pick an origin plane and pick the origin point. The dwg geometry will come into Inventor. You can simply create a sketch on the same plane and use Project DWG Geometry command (click on downward arrow in Project command group) to project dwg geometry to the sketch. Here is a video showing the workflow.

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/inventor-products/learn-explore/caas/video/youtube/lesson/153...

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report